1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duratex over truck bed liner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Sep 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I just got this cab from Schroeder and I'm not digging the white after all.

IMG_20170919_161959. IMG_20170919_162055. IMG_20170919_162050.

The cabinet is coated with Rhino Tuff, which sounds like it's similar to Duratex. Do you think I could paint over it with tinted Duratex to make it a different color?

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Sure, you can cover this cab with Duratex. Plan on applying an extra coat - white is a hard color to cover.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would think just paint it. It already has protection. Why add more weight?

yodedude2 and Joedog like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Coverage over the white will require more pigment, and every ding will show up white no matter what you do. I would spray it with Krylon semi-gloss black, probably 4 or 5 coats, and plan on lots of touch up. Duratex is hard to touch up without leaving a different texture each time.

5. Get a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit to go with it. Or a white tuxedo. Or both. You might get some gigs out of it.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Maybe a big black bowtie for the cab?

7. Roll it around in the dirt a bit and it will dull closer to the cream you like.

8. Funny.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Oh. It was white.... Sorry thought it was more of a light gray. White would make me too OCD about scuffs, probably what you're thinking too. Well good luck. Duratex may work, but I agree it might chip off easily without being bonded to the wood.

BurnOut and BadExample like this.
  10. I'd Duratex. It'll take a number of coats, I'd guess a quart would do it. And you'll have some left over.

I like Duratex because it's: super easy, cleans up with water, and most of all doesn't stink. You can do it indoors with no air quality or fume concerns.
    The rough texture little roller they sell and a throw away brush is all you'll need.

11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    It's obviously subjective, but I dig it!

Jeff Scott and Ampslut like this.
  12. I definitely think I'm going with a deep tint Duratex and getting it tinted a burgundy color. Nice thing about this cab is the truck bed liner it has is already textured. I just need to coat it a few times with the Duratex with a regular weenie roller.

I'm also not a road warrior - more of a weekend warrior. I really don't think this cab is going to get knocked around much where I'd be worried about chips. Even if it does get dinged I'm not putting texture on with the Duratex so touch ups should be unnoticeable if I feather it out well.

I'm going to leave it white for now, though. Maybe it'll grow on me.

13. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    You don't play the paint.

Jim Carr and alaskaleftybass like this.
  14. True.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If I ordered it that way I'd give it plenty of time to adjust to me before trying to paint it. Or you could always hydro dip it. It would definitely look funky over a textured surface, but it would be different fer sure.

If OTOH I got a white one because it was the best deal I could find in a used one, I'd either let it ride ot shoot it with some of the spray bomb all in one (paint/primer) paints available today. It's already textured and the newer all in one paints are super sticky on most any surface. I'd get some BBQ black and put 3~5 good coats on and call it good. The upside is if you do need touch up it's available most anywhere and it's quick and easy to cover those occasional aw chits moments.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    You stated you just got this cab from Schroeder. Why not just return it for a color you do like?

17. It's not that bad. Besides, if you face the audience and not the amp, you won't even have to look at it.
    Actually, I think it's kind of cool... wouldn't bother me in the least.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    Stormtrooper! Best idea ever!

At least give thought to idea of dressing the cab up like a Stormtrooper. Or R2D2.

19. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Put it in a room full of smokers for about a week. It will turn a nice tan.:D

alaskaleftybass and BadExample like this.
  20. Send it to me for a few months. I'll fire up my pipe... much richer smoke.

alaskaleftybass likes this.