1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dust Brothers

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by casio, Jul 6, 2012.

1. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    Hey Justin!
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I had a question for you that I see noone is asking, so I figured why not!

In any case, I've been getting into engineering and producing more and more, and since you've been transitioning quite successfully in the last few years, I wanted to see your view on working with the Dust Brothers?

You've worked with some awesome people, but I manage to find quite a lot of info on a lot of them, but the DBs seem to have a pretty unique approach to production, being quite hands on when they work, so I wanted to see how the experience was, and what you managed to learn and incorporate in your own work (if anything)?

It would actually be cool to see a thread concerning your views on different approaches to production and the people you've worked with altogether, but we can get to that! :D

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    The DB's are really great. It's all about taste. Highly musical, but always coming from their roots, which is original hip hop DJ's, and curators of interesting musical forms. I've worked with them on several different things outside of the extensive time I've put in with them with Beck, and they are legitimate producer/engineers in the more traditional sense as well. They are easy going in the studio, but very sure-footed when it comes to knowing what they are after.