1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

duty fees from Uk to US

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schwartzbass, Oct 19, 2013.

1. I have purchased a couple basses fron the UK. The first one
    was over $1000 and I got hit with a $100 bill from fedex after
    delivery. the last one I bought was around $700 and I didn't get any other charges. Is there a value cutoff ? Anyone with experience please let me know. I am intersted in a bass on ebay but it's already overpriced and it's not worth another 100
    bucks.
    thanks

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM4MjI2NzMxNC9zaWQvM2xCSldmRGw=

http://www.canadacustomer.fedex.com/ca_english/customsguide/calculatedutytax.html

Duty rates will vary depending on country of origin. Customs clearances rates are set by the carrier and they usually screw you over in increments ( I.e any goods between $ 50 and $ 100 they set a flat rate charge say $ 20). Some carriers have lower rates than others. It is possible that the transaction you did,for $ 700 had all the associated fees paid in advance by the seller which is rare but sometimes possible. If you get extremely lucky sometimes the package gets through with little or no charges....more and more rare these days. If you can't squeeze out an extra hundred then I would suggest you consider passing on the deal to avoid disappointment. Either that or find out exactly what the final cost will by contacting the seller, finding out country of manufacture, estimating the end price of the auction if it is not buy it now then checking with CBSA to see what the rate of duty is and finally contacting the courrier company too see how much they will charge in clearance fees.