DVD Decrypter - Gone, Forever!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaftCat, Jun 7, 2005.

1. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    DVD Decrypter is gone, website is gone also.
    I am sure many of you heard of it and use it.
    Grab the latest copy of it while you can.

Here is the author's post .
  2. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Wait for anti-piracy fanatics to descend. DVD Decrypter is/was wonderful. It is just not worth paying for music and movies anymore.
  3. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Aren't you a musician?
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    And until musicians get their due, and absurd coporations don't run the show I am only buying local band's CDs when I know my momey is going to them. Metallica doesn't need my 16 bucks, and George Lucas sure as hell doesn't need my 7.50.
    This absurd arguement that I have only heard on this forum is that musicians can't possibly advocate the free exchange of music. Which is silly. Free exchange of data is a good thing.
  5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Does anyone else think that $9.50 (how much to see a movie near me) to see a movie in theatres is way too much?
  6. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Metallica and Lucas don't NEED your money any more than you NEED their art. If the product is not worth your hard-earned cash, don't buy it, but there is no way that makes stealing these things OK. :rollno:

So if it's all cool that the work of musicians gets shared without giving them anything in exchange, how about you come on over and paint the inside of my house? Nicely, with each room a different color. I mean, sure you have to buy your own brushes (instruments) and get yourself to my house (the gig) and decide how my house should be painted (writing music) but I think that art should be free! I mean, you're a musician who likes sharing, right? Hook me up!

7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't disagree with your statement but you seem to be implying that tekhna has advocated stealing music and films. Of course, you may be picking up a debate from another thread but all that has been explicitly stated is the preference for supporting local artists rather than spending that money on the international players (such as Lucas and Metallica).

There's nothing wrong with forgoing music and films that you think are too expensive or choosing to put your money (consumer power) towards people with whom you have a more grass roots connection. In fact, there's a wealth of stuff out there that you'd probably never get a chance to appreciate if you only listened to things that other people have heard of!

8. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    [believes threads been hijacked.. :rollno: ]
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Damn, that sucks. With that program and DVD Shrink you could copy anything. I'm sure it won't be long until another one pops up thats even better.
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    What you are proposing is not the same as a movie or an album, but instead is similar to a musician going out and playing a gig. Which tekhna implied that he is in favor of monetarily supporting.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Free exchange of data strikes a chord with me too, but there is no doubt in my mind that the system is broken either way and we need a new model.
  12. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Free exchange of data is right.
    Going into only's house and stealing his physical property is very different than stealing an intangiable (and it is intangible for most musicians) set of 1s and 0s. Of course you could argue that someones credit card info at amazon is just data, but I am not going to argue that one right now. I need to sleep.
    That said, I do agree that something needs to change.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i used to think "file sharing" was ok, but after a while, i felt somewhat hypocritical in supporting my local acts by buying their demos and CDs, while "taking" from big name artists.
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Theft of intellectual property is theft of intellectual property. However you want to justify it to pretend you aren't a thief is your deal. But, make no mistake--taking "intangible" 1s and 0s is theft. Period. End of story.
  15. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Seriously. If you want to steal music whatever, man, but don't act like it's NOT stealing.
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    stealing is stealing
  17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    who came up with the idea of charging money to hear music in the first place? what a crock.
  18. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    can I get an Amen?

totally +1. it's those startup bands that put their songs out for practically nothing that deserve the money.

Also if i respect the band and like their music enough, (meaning it's not overdone) i'll pay top dollar for it.
    Bands/ composers on that list:
    -- Tool
    -- Audioslave
    -- Coheed and Cambria
    -- John Williams
    -- Some others but i havn't bought a cd in a while, so i can't put them down
    -- Any startup or local band who breaks the mold, and doesn't just say they break the mold.
  19. Yeah. The movie industry is really misguided if they think piracy is the reason cinema attendance is dwindling year by year.
  20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    And if Metallica and George Lucas don't get your 16$, or 7.50, respectively, I guess you don't need thier music, or movies. Deal with it. It's a free market economy, and they are able to sell their product for whatever the hell they want to.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T have a problem throwing down 10, 15, even 20 bucks on a cd? It's just 20 bucks, man. Grow up and stop trying to justify your theft.