1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dye

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by photoshopgeek, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

Has anyone ever used fabric dye on wood before? I couldn't find any wood dye in my home town, so I happened on some fabric dye. They're both water-based and the ingredients couldn't be that different, right? I mean seriously, 2 bucks for a package of the stuff...

Ryan

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used it on some non critical panel I wanted to stain. It was Rit brand dye. It stained but the colour faded in a couple months.

3. Cant think of any good reason why not, get some scrap wood and play with different dilutions e.t.c as arnie says.. DOOOO EEEHIIIT!! (feel the pump)
    also regarding the above post, varnish/oil/lacquer over it to keep it colour fast.

4. Even with finish on it?

5. I use rit to dye disks for disk golf.
    http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/tnigel/
    and I have found that in sunlight it breaks down over time. you can get great vibrant colors but a coupple things I have found is that over time the color fades in sunlight(ultraviolet rays or something I guess) and it works alot better(at least on plastics)ifyou warm it first, I know that this is bass and wood not disks and plastic but thought I would share my experience

and of course like has always been said dye a scrap or something and see how it holds up for a while before you do the real job.

6. My plan is to dye the wood, then sand it back so it'll just be in the curls. So I'm not really too worried about it fading. Plus it won't be in the sun too much if at all.

I'll definitely try it on a scrap first. Can't really lose with it that cheap...

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, three coats of varnish.

8. johnnymiz

johnnymiz

Dec 31, 2007
    hi. i'm no expert, to say the least..but, i used jacquard acid (just vinegar) dye on my first and maybe only bass build. topped with about 10 thin coats of spar urethane with uv inhibitors. came out ok. dont know if it will fade since i just finished it a few weeks ago. color is cherry red.... #617

Attached Files:

9. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    don't reinvent the wheel-wood dyes are made to dye wood and retain their color over a long period of time. Woodcraft.com has dyes you can mail order. I have used black leather dye to make wood look like ebony. You need to have a good finish on top of the dye. The finish is the most visible part of any woodworking project. If you screw up the finish the whole project will look bad, then you will have to refinish and do it right. Do it right the first time - it is easier in the long run.