Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EA iamp800 work OK?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notanaggie, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Guy I know brought me one that was not working right, had some preamp-type noise.... I sent him to the EA folks since it was new, didn't want to foul up their warranty.

Naturally he and I looked inside first, though....pretty clean-looking, but looking up some data on parts it seemed that they must be pushing some part ratings pretty hard. I wonder if that might be a problem?

We couldn't get more than about 800 watts out at 2 ohms either. The spec said 1200 watts, but we couldn't get close to that at the shop.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Sounded Ok (except for the noise), though, maybe the power issue isn't too big a deal. And it's nice and small for that power.

2. Well, the 800 is only rated to 1000W at 2 ohm, not 1200.

What did you use to measure the power output?

Geoff

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is this a friend of McRelly!! ;)

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Um...fairly certain that opening the iAMP (no user servicable parts) voids the warranty, anyway.

I'm also curious how you measured that you weren't getting "close" to 1200 watts.

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Well, put in a signal on the bench, and turned it up until the output stopped going up....checked for preamp distortion, and it was OK.

If you mean with what, 1% load resistors and a true RMS Fluke meter.......and a line voltage monitor, yes......

I got between 750 and 800 watts, depending on how hard I pushed it.

Adn I think maybe it was the guys on another forum that put the 1200 watt deal out. The website does say 1000...but it also says 2500 peak, which LOOKS like it would be 1250 RMS.

Anyhow, not dissing them, it sounded OK as long as it wasn't really slammed on. Just curious if they were holding up OK and whether there maybe was some "marketing input" in writing up the info..........the usual fancy new gizmo questions...I'd seen that they cam out, and then got to see an actual one.

And we won't tell anyone about looking inside.....

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I truly am sorry - perhaps I am tired or just a bit burnt out, but in all honesty notanaggie, I cannot understand a single word you are trying to say. Perhaps English is not your first language or perhaps you are trying to repeat something you really don't know about.

First thing that I would do if I were you - is to get your facts correct. What do the specs actually say, how are you testing the gear, etc. Next I would learn about what you are talking about, or better yet what the person who actually did the test is talking about. Finally, I would figure out how to communicate the ideas in a thoughtful and correct manner. If you make a claim, then support it with actual measurements and facts. If you do not know the English language or you just cannot type than find someone who can.

Perhaps this sound rude and I do not really mean it to be. It is just that I have heard so much BS about the iAMP that is just factually wrong or I have to listen to someone that is trying to put out their personal agenda. If you have something to say, than say it. Say it in an intelligible and meaningful manner. If not please just "can it!"

Please know that I wrote the manual for the iamp800 and know the facts of the amps that have problems, returns, etc. So when someone posts something here, I usually already know the facts. I know that some trash the amp after they have truly abused the gear. I also know that many people just really do not understand the relationship between an amp and a cabinet. I know that people don't understand many issues related to amp and cabinet design, compatiability and function. That is why I wrote so many educational type pieces for the EA web site.

OK, enough of me - give me facts, speak them in plain english and by all means back up what you say.

Mike

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hmm, nowhere in his posts did i get the sense that the poster doesnt have a grasp of english. now benjamin towle or warwickben or whatever his user name was was a difficult read.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think it's a bit vague - some pre-amp "noise" - is this the problem or the fact that you can't get more than 800 watts out of an 800 watt amplifier? Why did the person bring it to be repaired? It seems all they have done is invalidate the warranty, for the sake of tinkering! :confused:

I still reckon the other person in question must be McRelly or he would have shown up here to rubbish EA gear again !! ;)

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Just let the fire die, Bruce. I don't think anyone here wants to see the flames again. :)

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I used the iAMP 800 last night at a fairly loud gig into a Epifani T410 and it rocked the house! The iAMP has taken everything i've thrown at it so far and asked for more. With the way Gary and the rest of the EA crew obviously feels a deep connection to their creations, I can't imagine they'd use any component that would reduce the performance or lifespan of their product.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Maybe I should put this in my sig:

I am VERY interested in hearing the iamp800 head.
    I WANT to hear good things about EA products.
    I WANT EA to do well and continue to make good products.
    I don't want to trash ANY company.
    I just want to find reliable equipment that sounds good to me at a decent price.

I want at least 3 people (MD, CF and BL) to let other people share their opinions rather than coming down like a ton of bricks to try and squelch free speech!

[​IMG]

12. Bruce Lindfield

Ever heard of the laws of libel and slander? ;)

Or how about going up to the nearest police officer and shouting "I am a fundamentalist suicide bomber" - then you can complain about him squelching your right to free speech all you like... in the cells!! ;)

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    dude, let it die! my god man, i swear bruce, sometimes you're the antagonist to end it all!

i mean, most of the time i agree, but heck :D

14. Bruce Lindfield

Who's the one swearing and being rude - not me?

I'm just being ironic!! ;)

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Not that I want to defend Mcrelly, but he's not the one that dug up the dirt TWICE in this thread. If that's not rude, I don't know what is. Just cause you're smiling doesn't make it not rude.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well..if there was no 'dirt' in the first place.....:meh: And he did show up as predicted!! ;)

A pre-emptive surgical strike ! :D

17. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA

18. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Let me point out one very pertinent fact:

You, Bruce, made the pre-emptive surgical strike. You saw a thread about an EA product, and you came in and flamed Mcrelly before he was even given the opportunity to show the Talkbass community that he may have changed his ways.

Since we're talking about dirt, I should also mention that you're the one currently rolling around in it. Winks and smiles do not necessitate humor. Give it some thought.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I am am not trying to "Squelch anyone's free speech". In fact I think that I am promoting RESPONSIBLE free speech. Free speech does not give one the right to say anything that they want. For example you cannot incite a riot, yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater, etc.

The anonymous aspect of this forum,and others like it as well as the entire internet, allow users to say whatever they like:

Without having to back up what they say.

Promote opinion as fact.

Share both their wisdom and ignorance.

Promote a political or personal agenda.

blah, blah, blah

The sad fact is that too many people out there will read this crap and take it as truth.

So please, say what you have to say, but be responsible. Mention ALL the facts, not just some. If you have an agenda - say so - at least each one of us can respect that if it is out in the open. If you tested a piece of gear, give ALL the details - including the equipment used to make the test, etc.

I do not trust politicians who make their living through the soundbite and I don't trust you, if that is what you do (the proverbial "you")

A divorce lawyer I know always says there are 3 sides to the truth. His side, her side and the truth.

The disclaimer of all disclaimers:
    I have always represented myself as an EA shill. I USE their products, I ENDORSE their products, I WRITE the PR, website text and manuals. I am also a player with many years experience and I have a respected reputation as a player, educator, author and clinician. I use EA gear because in all honesty it blows away other gear that I have tried. I pay for all my EA gear. EA wouldn't even allow me to endorse their product before I did comprehensive A/B evaluation with different amp and cabinet configurations.

Mike - forgive me if you think that I am trying to squelch your free speech - that is not the case, but everyone who posts negative (or for that matter positive comments) should either provide the details or be cool with others who ask the question. Better yet, if you are going to make the post - provide the details first and avoid the questions that are sure to come later.

Mike Dimin

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I KNOW what you mean!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.