Ear bud upgrade. Duel or triple driver

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bohemond, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Hi i recently decided to purchase the Carvin EM 900 IEM. Can anyone recommend an earbud upgrade that has two ir three drivers and is comfortable as one can expect without getting custom molds.? Preferably not more than a couple hundred dollars. Thanks!!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Canada
    Shure SE425 IEM's have dual drivers in them and sell for between $250-$300.

TD

bohemond likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    If you can step into something like the triple-driver Westone UM Pro 30s (I think that's the name) for $300, you'll notice a major difference.

s0c9 likes this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I'll add.. 'cus someone will... triple drivers + custom molds will be the best for bass.
    Save up.. get decent ears!
    I have 1964 Ears Quads (that I use with the Carvin Em900), and highly recommend the brand..

Geri O and bohemond like this.
  5. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks for the recommendations guys

6. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Been checking out Alien Ears.also

7. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I imagine that you'll get some positive comments on the Alien Ears, but I checked into them...

16 months ago, I started playing at church where all of the players are on IEMs. So naturally, I wanted my own custom set. One of our worship leaders at church had a set of Alien Ears. He liked them, but they had been back for service not long after he bought them and mentioned that it took a while for them to them repaired and returned. So I started looking at the reviews on them and I was bothered by some of the things I was reading. The reviewers like the IEMs, but were having a hard time with customer service (which I realize, that may be totally remedied by now). So I looked into the 1964 Ears and all of the reviews were positive. And I would up being very happy with a set of Quads. I had a little trouble with the seal on one side, probably due to the impression I sent in. 1964 offered to remake them, but I really hated to be without them and asked the service guy if there might be an option to be able to use them without returning them and he offered a foam strip solution that I still use with them to this day. It worked perfectly. They really went all out to make sure I was happy. So I highly recommend 1964 Ears.

Let me add that it's around $600 for a set of custom-molded Quads from 1964. But it's seriously worth every penny.

s0c9 likes this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    I have the same ears, and these things produce so-o-o-o much bass it's simply unreal. Anyone that can't use them to monitor bass needs their hearing checked. I agree with Geri O +1000%

FWIW - I did similar research as Geri O prior to going from Westone universals to 1964 Ears customs. BassEarz, Alien ears and a couple of others rounded out the candidate list. A local "mega-church" used 1964 exclusively, and had a local audiologist do the molds for them. After all the research (similar feedback on AlienEars) I went with the church's feedback, their audiologist and I simply LOVE the quads...

PS: They're great for guitar also :)

9. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I don't know about you, but I'm actually lowering the low end in my Quads. The Avioms have a basic treble and bass control and I roll the lows back to 10:00 on the control. And the consoles always have at least a parametric EQ on the outputs, so I can reduce the low end there as well.

We'll probably never blow this things...:D

s0c9 likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    LOL.. yes.. I turn down the bass to about the same levels on our church avioms. :cool:

Gigging I use the iPad (x32-Q) app for my IEM mix levels on the X32, and again, the bass level is pretty low. To be fair, some of that is tied to input trim levels on the X32 and the line out "send level" I have set on my Markbass amp. Detente levels.. tho' I don't run the FOH mix when we use our own PA, and when we use the house PA, I leave the trim levels the same, and patch their snake split into the X32. Same IEM mix as we use our own mics +cables. CONSISTENT IEM MIX!! awesome!!

Geri O likes this.
  11. dual drivers for me...i use the SE425's and love it...IEM should be more about clarity than how much BASS i can push in my ears...you(i) can hear my bass quite well across all 5 strings, and have no issues in saying that the SE425's from shure are fine for 90% of the situations...unless you want pounding bass....

Geri O likes this.
  12. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    It wasn't so much about pounding bass as it was a custom-molded set of IEMs. I read the ad copy like everyone else where it stated that the Quads were made for bassists and drummers. If I replace this set down the road, I'll go with the V6 Stage IEMs, the next step up. As I said, I DO have to REDUCE the low end in my Quads to sound good. But they sound great when I get the low end reduced slightly.

I look at this like, I can fix it if it's too much, but not enough would be a problem I can't fix. And I don't begrudge the money I spent on the Quads for a second.

BTW, our church sound guy occasionally check the levels we are running (he has his own Quads, as well as the church's Westone UM30s. He always tells me my levels are way down in the lower 50% of the average of the levels. I've seen him wince at the levels of some of the other folks.

s0c9 likes this.