Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early 70s Jazz Question for Experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psycho Funk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Found an original "'72" Jazz, Looks just like the Geddy Lee RI that the original owner is selling. I have first option to buy but need to pull trigger fast. It plays nice and the tone is great, a bit heavy though. This will be a player not a collection piece.
    My problem is this, the SN could be '72 or '73 and the pots date to '73. I think I'm the first to pull the PG and neck apart (no stamped date there) and the neck and frets are pristine since the flat wounds look about 30 yrs old.

Any significant difference in value '72 to '73? Thanks for your help.

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    No appreciable price difference between a '72 & 73 black block Jazzes IMO. Even the current blue book values on both are listed the same at between $2,300 - $2,500.

3. Thanks Dude. I bought it today. Pics soon but PU off to Lindy Fralin First for rewind.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Cool beans...Lindy will do a nice job for you! He even rewound an Ovation Magnum neck pickup for me a few years back that nobody wanted to touch.