Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earmaster Pro - Ear training program. The shiz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Slot, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    I posted this in misc a few days ago, but it kinda got "lost in the wash". And im not sure if anyone tried it. You guys in GI are more likely to benefit from it anyway.

I was just scoping around for some handy progz to d/l and i stumbled across this little beauty.

Its an awesome tool that covers everything from interval training, to chord progression recognition, to rhythmic recognition, to melodic dictation.

Some might find it pointless and boring, but if any of you were planning on studying music at uni/college, ear training/aural is a MAJOR part of the course, and its also fargin hard if you've never been exposed to it, and as bassists, we often arent. Thank gawd ive now passed all my aural pre-requisites, and i dont really have to worry to much about them. But this prog would have saved me from sucking down many a pack of smokes through stress if i had had it back then.

Scope it .....its handy imo

Earmaster Trial - Download

Its only a trial, but im sure *ahem*, you know..google;)

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Is this for singing, playing bass by ear? Is it any good?

3. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Both, and just about anything else.

Its a relative pitch training program.

There's two types of pitch recognition that you can obtain/born with.

The 1st is perfect pitch. Its fairly rare, and its something that is generally picked up at a very young age, or perhaps even prenatal. Its where people can tell the pitch of anything they hear. Like someone might fart, ande they'll go "nice fart, it was a C#"

The other is relative pitch. Having exceptional relative pitch is practically a prerequisite to becoming a HEAVY player. Relative Pitch is where you know what a certain pitch is, due to its relation to the initial pitch that was played(i.e. interval recognition). Its basically just being able to memorise what certain intervals, and chord movements sound like. So intern, you should be able to transcribe things MUCH faster, and with the use of relative pitch, you should be able to construct melodic lines in your head and then simultaneously apply them to bass. Also when composing, it aids in being able hear and sing melodys and chordal movements before you actually twiddle with your instrument or put pen to paper

Its not something that just happens though.....its fargin hard, and it can be fargin boring, but its something that should be worked on if you wish to progress 'that' level of musicianship, or if you a have desire to "seriously" play jazz, or other demanding genres.

This prog is just a good little training tool that helps you work on it in your own time. If you do happen to check it out, make sure you can sing the stuff aswell aswell as hear it. You may sound funny singing to yourself, but meh, its all good[​IMG]
    Btw, i suck at it

4. Where can i get a serial number on the net for this program?

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sweet!