Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

earplugs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Feb 9, 2004.

1. hearos

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. custom 9dbs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. custom 15dbs

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  4. custom 25dbs

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. nothing at all

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. other

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    Back on the topic of earplugs and hearing loss.I was just curious what everyone uses if anything.

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I use the cheap ones you get at the hardware store.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know wat they are. THey are yellow and foamy.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use the one that mike dimin is (was?) selling on his web site.
    Very similar or maybe the exact one rickbass is using.

Very nice I like them. I haven't used them in a while though, since the new band is not very loud.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ER-20s are the best $10 you will ever spend.

7. Yep. I also use ER-20s. Not quite custom plugs but miles beyond any foam plugs or hardware store plugs.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've been using the ETYMOTIC RESEARCH ER-20 ear plugs for the past 3-4 years. I believe I paid $10.00 for them online. They work great, but I wish that I had them years ago before I developed tinnitus in my right ear. :crying:

TD

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup.

They're also a great gift idea for musicians you know. Lifelong benefits and non wallet breaking.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just use some yellow foam ones... they work for me, and they are like 50 cents! :)

11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I use Sonic II earplugs. I don't know much about them, but playing in loud situations with them is very comfortable. I've had tinnitus my whole life, and not making it any worse than it is is definatly on the top of my list of things to do.

The thing I especially like about them is that I can hear the whole sound spectrum... they are very transparent. But I guess that means I can still hear it when I screw up :p

12. Custom -15db's here. Expensive but worth it for me due to the comfort. All the foamie variants that I've tried get uncomfortable after a while whereas I can wear my customs all day and not be bothered.

Jeff

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    ditto

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Got Atlanta Hearing Health Care to make molds and order the Custom 15db plugs... For about $135 (included both: the mold and plugs). I THINK THEY ARE THE BEST AROUND. THe 9db's are really more applicable for classical/orchestral players (IMO) and the 25's are great for stadium rockers and concerned roadies(IMO)... The 15's seemed to be perfect for the gigs that I do.

...*I was also able to use the molds to order my in-ear headset for my studio gigs, it was cool cause the company that made the in ear headphones were actually planning on charging me separately...

Saved dough! :)

.. I think that the cheapies, are kinda cheap and actually block sound out... they don't filter at all. Being able to hear each of the members clearly helps me to do my job and help them with theirs... Especially in some improv settings, it's important to hear it all!

15. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I currently use the ER-20's but have an appointment next week to be fitted for some custom plugs. I've been real happy with the ER's but I'm looking forward to getting the custom fit plugs. I'll report back after I get the plugs and try them out.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    good going Scott, let us know what you think of them when you receive them.