easiest/cheapest way to record to my computer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    I know this has been asked a thousand times, but the search function doesnt even allow the word "how", much less "to" or "a". so can someone just tell me the basics? thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, The simplest, dirtiest, easiest route is to get a 1/4"(big) --> 1/8"(small) adaptor and plug your bass directly into your computer via the computers external mic input or audio line in.

then you have two options(that I know of) Amplitude live! or garageband(mac only)

both these programs provide you with software amplification, quite well I might add. The latter also provides you with 64 tracks to record with and a wealth of virtual instruments.

Amplitude live is ~$50 if I remember correctly, Garageband is $50(part of the iLife suite, which includes 4 other apps) it's also free with a new mac.

So that's one route.

the other route, which is a little easier in some respects, but it will also cost a little more.

bass-->preamp-->1/4"-1/8" adaptor-->computer

this will give you the amplification before you get to the computer, from there you can use protools free, or cool edit pro, or any other free sound recorder and you'll get an amplified signal that should be more or less pretty clean(assuming you have good cables/adaptors)

Additionally, if you have a floorboard that can provide an amplified signal(can you wear headphones with it without your amp in the mix?) then you can use that.

basically anything that will amplify your signal before it hits the computer, so that your computer gets a strong clear signal, and you're set then you can use free sound recording software.

Price would vary, but from my knowledge, it'll set you back at least $70 for some form of amplification, that's optimistically too.

your amp head might have some form of line out, if that's the case, you should be able to use that in conjunction with and 1/4"-1/8" adaptor and then you'd be set.

you could also get a beefy sound-card, the audigy pro or something, those are like $200 I think, but they have 1/4" built in, and can work as a preamp.

Additionally, you can get a USB or firewire DI box, www.m-audio.com makes some good ones www.edirol.com does too.
  3. I don't support piracy, but the cheapest way is just to download a recording program from somewhere. Then you really just need a 1/4" adapter and put one side in the "line in" jack in your computer. Then stick the 1/4" either straight into your bass or into a Line out of your amp. You can play through a mixer or whatever you want. Hope this helped, and if you have any questions PM me or hit me up on AIM.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    some not supporting piracy :meh:

either way, this belongs in recording gear and equipment, where you will likely find a couple other threads on the subject either on the first page, or the 2nd or maybe 3rd.
  5. Hi Matt,

WR's advice is pretty much spot on for the total beginner. Take a look at the FAQ in this section and if you've still got questions then post back to this thread.

All the best!
  6. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Also check out Audacity, at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. It's available for a slew of platforms, windows and the mac included. I'd compare it to Cake Walk maybe, but it's free and gets a lot of development.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Matt have a look Here

The thread I have just posted is stuck at the top of this forum because it covers this question, plus many other commonly asked questions.

Have fun.