Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Easiest PC software to use.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by odie, May 28, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a Tascam 788 digital 8 track. But I would like to have control of more tracks. I was thinking about dropping my tracks from the 788 to the PC and using one of the many PC solutions.

What is the easiest to get the handle of but yet get a pro sound.

2. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Pro Tools Le, but I think it's not for Win XP or W2K - double check with www.digidesign.com

Cheers

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Fred what is it?? I am a noobie.

5. If you mean, what is Sonar... Sonar is audio and MIDI recording software. It runs on PCs.

If you've got any experience with the old Cakewalk Pro Audio software, this is pretty much that with a few pieces of chrome added to the fuselage. For example if y ou've got a sound module (let's say a synth) you can record your MIDI into Sonar (via your sound card) and then, without having to open a second program, use that recorded MIDI to trigger your synth and record the audio without having to have a second program or even open another window. Of course you can also just record your bass into your sound card.

Talking of which you'll want a fairly decent sound card to get your stuff into and out of the computer. In other words a Sound Blaster may or may not cut it-- you'd have to be the judge of that.

I'm not aware of any recent versions of Pr* T**ls running on Wintel. Oh, and certain versions of Pr* T**ls require you to use D*g*d*s*gn's own hardware in order for it to be usable. So the up-front cost might be a little more than you bargained for... which is part of the reason a lot of people (myself included) hold it in some degree of disdain. I'd stick with Sonar myself.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually what is a Studioware Panel?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cubase is very simple to get up and running quick, but is one of the most full featured systems in existence. I bet you'd like it.

8. A Studioware panel is a software plugin that allows Sonar to control an external device with varying degrees of functionality. I use a Tascam one with my DA-88 that allows control of transport functions (play, record, rewind, ff, etc.), selection and arming of individual channels and sync with the device for playback and record.

9. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    The man said easiest software to use, I think only Pro Tools, Digital Performer & Paris Pro would fall into that category.

Cheers

10. True, until he gets a keyboard player or a guitarist with a VG-1 in and discovers that Pr* T**ls doesn't do MIDI well at all. That was why I described of Sonar, which does both well and relatively cheaply and is hardware-independent when compared to Pr* T**ls.

If that doesn't apply, then my point is that it's not just a case of getting his hands on the software because it's going to be pretty well dysfunctional without the accompanying hardware... which sonically leaves something to be desired.

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Well pro tools have enough midi options to get from A to B. I think he was looking for more of audio solution not midi. But for soudn qulity purely and its bus summiing I think Samplitude is the top one.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Tracktion (marketed by Mackie) is easily the easiest-to-use PC software I've seen. You can download a free demo at www.mackie.com.

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I used to use Cakewalk programs and I always thought it was easy to use and not to hard on the wallet. But I've since switched to Apple and got Garage Band.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Rich- I downloaded and gave it a small try (20 minutes) and you are right. Very easy to use. What cahnges after you pay the $80?? It looks like it might only allow 8 tracks. Does it give more after it is registered?

15. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    cool edit pro works fine. a zillion tracks & effects. and it's free at kazaa lite

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry, I didn't see this earlier.

AFAIK, it works almost entirely the same. What changes is mainly that you no longer get random noises running through your audio. That noise is really all that prevents you from using the Tracktion demo for making a mix. And I remember encountering one or two functions that weren't allowed before I registered, but I can't remember what they were.

Oh yeah, it definitely allows more than 8 tracks. But I think that's true even with the demo.