Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eastman Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by acexxxoasis, Jun 6, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    has anyone played one? I know im waiting for one to be finished building, but just wondering if anyone else has used seen abused one.

2. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    you mean the eastman basses? I have played a couple of eastman basses. They are alright. After they break in they sounds pretty good but they are pretty tough to play sometimes.

3. Your post doesn't make much sense. You need to clarify your thoughts and try to arrive at a clear question...ok?
    What's all this about abuse, etc.?
    Also, maybe fill in your profile.

4. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I was meaning if anyone has used one. sorry for being unclear psychobilly background kind of like calling basses dog houses yeah... sorry for the lingo. Has anyone had the oppourtunity to play an Eastman strings bass?

5. Dudie

Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Sweden
    Im also interested in Eastman-basses. Have plans to upgrade my Musima hybrid to an Eastman model 605. They looks realy nice and are not to expensive.
    In which way are they difficult to play. Thick neck?

6. Boy, they make basses? I have a Eastman Strings mandolin that is very well constructed and plays easily and is very classy looking. Some fit and finish issues, but not many. Can't tell you about the basses though, but the mandolin is very high quality for the price.

7. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    the model 305 I played fealt like a dream come true compared to my schools basses

8. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I used to sell Eastman's basses regularly and had a high opinion of them. A couple of years ago they had major problems with the ribs shrinking and leaving gaps in some places between the ribs and back or top. They told me that somebody had got into the wrong wood pile and had used wet wood to make some of the basses. All in all they've been a pretty reliable outfit, but all basses are not created equal and you should play a bass before buying.

9. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    If I get the bass they want they are going to make it when I order it so I unfortunately cannot try it out. but I can try out a few different Eastmans and all the Eastman basses I tried played phenominal.

10. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    No they're not! They are shipping cargo containers of basses.
    I saw one yesterday in Sioux City on a trip showing basses there, and I would not have bought that bass. Don't buy without playing it, period!!!
    All of these companies make dozens of basses at a time, and they make them all exactly the same way so far as size, arching and thicknesses are concerned. That means that out of a dozen basses 8 will be exactly what you would expect to
    pay quality wise, and two will be duds and two will be better than their price level. It's a total crap shoot ordering and paying for a bass you haven't played. I personally selected two basses for my client to try out, she played four others also, one of which was the Eastman. Both the teacher and the player agreed that mine were the best(patting myself on the back here).
    As I stated above I think Eastman makes as good a bass as any of them, but don't buy anything you can't play. By the way, one of the reasons the Eastman failed the players test was not that it was a bad bass, but that it was very poorly set up; strings too high etc. That's all folks.

11. Yes, I would agree set-up is important for any instruments and instruments with moveable bridges such as basses can be particularly challenging IMHO. It is worth the extra cash just to have to bass set up - particularly if you can't play it in advance. I know that this is apples and oranges, but Eastman Strings mandolins are the same - not a lot of consistency, but when you get a good one it is really, really, really good and often it is the set-up that makes all the difference. Now the question becomes, who will set it up?