1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Easy DIY upright build?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Shardik, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Hi

I am currently an amateur bass guitar player and in addition a DIY hobbyist.
    Recently I have thought about trying to get an upright, but as I have virtually no budget, I am thinking DIY.

This youtube video got me intrigued:

Have any of you good people in here built anything similar? It looks like a build I could master with my limited skill and tool set.

(and yes, I have tried to search, but haven't found much on DIY at this simple level)

2. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
  4. Kickass

Kickass

Jul 20, 2012
    Scottish Borders
    recycled drum and bass neck.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Ha... it's like a bass banjo.

6. Hi.

I haven't done one, yet, my unidentifiable eastern block BSO has served me well enough ;).

Well, a cardboard bass like the commercial Bogdon would be the cheapest, around ~50€/~500NOK if You buy all the parts from a hardware store.
    No money and just a bit of work if You have some weedwhacker line, a cardboard box, few bolts and a lenght of wood/plastic lying around.
    And a few basic tools of course.

That price is hard to beat anywhere and with anything.

Then there's the "Coffin bass", mostly associated with Necromantix.
    I haven't looked too deeply into the construction of the said bass, but I'd assume a conventional DB bass-bar and soundpost even though X-braced ACG style flat-top would probably be easier to make and set up.

That style would run You down minimum ~200-300€ depending on the hardware You wish to use.

BUT...

That kind of money should be (almost?) enough to score an (ab)used Chinese CCB that will most likely play and sound way better than a random DIY attempt.

Probably sounds a bit ignorant when I say that if You want to DIY, do it because the enjoyment DIY gives, NOT because you think you may save some money, but about 30 years of DIYholism has taught me at least one hard lesson :).

Regards
    Sam

7. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Thank you, T-bird. Yes, it is important to take a step back and sober up. But I guess the market for used basses is minimal here in Norway. Believe me, I have been looking for bargains

I like to entertain the idea, at least. Are you sure the best "simple" DIY-designs are always worse sounding than the cheapest commercial mass produced efforts?

8. Hi.

You're welcome.

The "best" is rather difficult to determine, but based on my own experience of my own failures over a few decades as well as other peoples failures I've witnessed, I'm pretty confident that without a personal guidance from someone who has masterd those "simple" designs, I can say that I'm pretty sure the first few tries will sound/play worse.

IMO it's very important not to expect miracles on the first time around though, but to count that (/those ;)) as a learning experience.

I haven't checked lately, but the Bogdon BOX Bass I mentioned earlier seemed to sell nicely when he seeked financing on TV.
    IIRC It wasn't "Shark Tank" though, "American Innovators" ?

For the life of me I can't imagine someone paying that much for a cardboard box, 3 different thickness of weedwhacker line, handful of hardware and a bit of kindlings, but "the fool ain't the one who sells the stuff" ;).
    If I was a hat wearing kind of a guy, I'd tip my hat to him, that's for sure.
    Eqvivalent of selling ice to Inuits if You ask me :).

Carving a DB (-like) neck out of a 2*4 isn't very demanding, so if You have some tools lying around and do enjoy some carving, I'd start with that.

Regards
    Sam

9. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I've remember someone posting pics and how-to steps of making an upright from variety of PVC tubes. I cannot find the site anymore...
    It used different diameters of tubes for different parts of the bass.

10. Hi.

There's been several PVC EUB builds on TB, IIRC starting with this one from Alembicplyr/Rickett Customs:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/alright-attempting-build-pvc-eub-398792/

But, as cool as a PVC EUB is, it won't quite satisfy someone who want's a DB, unless an EUB will do volume-/amplification-vise of course.

Regards
    Sam

11. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Thats the link I've talked about! Thanks, T-Bird!

12. Hi.

You're welcome T-34.

Took me a sweet while to realize that Alembicplyr has changed his handle though :D.

Regards
    Sam