1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EB-3L pickup alternatives

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eric blank, Oct 15, 2010.

1. eric blank

eric blank

Sep 13, 2010
    BK NY
    hello, i was just in Japan and I bought a pretty awesome copy of a Gibson EB-3L. It's made by Greco, I don't know much about this company... but the construction and feel of this bass is absolutely amazing (the reason I bought it - better than any Gibson or Epiphone I've ever played), but the pickups aren't very good. Actually, they're kind of awful.

Has anybody experimented with putting non-Gibson style pickups in the neck and bridge position on these kinds of basses? I'm looking for a very deep, clear bass out of the neck pickup and a burpy Jazzish pickup out of the bridge. Possible?

2. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    For deepest clearest nothing beats Wilde EB-50. For traditional J-bass tones someone else will have to tell you as I'm not a fan so I don't know. Be aware that having such different pickup types in one bass will require different amp settings when switching pickups.

3. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Those are really cool looking bases BTW.
    Have you seen this site? http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB3_soundclips.php

I don't think theres many options for dropins except DiMarzio for the neck and the one I mentioned earlier for the bridge. I once tried a Lawrence stratocaster sized dual rail on a bass with guitar routs(EMG-HB) and thought the distinctive upper mids reminded me of a j-bass.

You should ask SGD Luthierie, he's a knowledgeable guy.

4. Dimarzio One is supposed to sound like a P, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

IMO, these basses are supposed to sound like mud. That's their charm.