Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eb Neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by JimmyM, Apr 23, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My new Upton bass has a neck where under the G, D and A strings it's rounded, but under the E string, the fingerboard comes to a point between the A and E string, and there is a sharp beveling under the E string. I have been told that is what's considered an "Eb neck." As this is my first bass I've owned and I know zip about it, I have to ask what the heck that means.

How many different neck profiles are there? Is there any reference on the net that describes the different kind of neck profiles available for double basses?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A beveled board is much different that an Eb neck. An Eb neck means than when the thumb touches the heel (in conventional hand position) the first finger aligns roughly with the note Eb. It is more common for basses to have a D neck.

The beveled board, AKA the Romberg Bevel (or is it Rhomberg?) is a means of dressing a bass fb to offer more room for the E to move. They are common but it seems becoming less so.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, thanks for setting me straight.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Chasarms, between you and Eroy's PM, I finally understand what you meant by Eb neck. And now I'm glad it has one. At least one note will be in tune!

I thought the Eb had something to do with the bevel when I first heard the term because I had never played an upright with as deep a bevel as the Upton has and thought that's what they were talking about. It kind of threw me at first, but now I'm digging it and when I played one without it this weekend, it seemed like I was missing something. Definitely makes pizz on the E easier.