1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EB StingRay bass Single VS Double Pickup ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stones18, Sep 26, 2008.

1. stones18

stones18

Jan 28, 2008
    whats the difference between the double and sinlg pick up sting-rays. Wich one is better in you opinion, or do they sound the same. I heard that the single pick up has more of the classic stingray sound, but i heard the the Double has more versatility. People say that the Double Pickup gets in the way for slapping, but i dont slap so that dosen't phaze me. Does the double pick up have more power and punch, is the single pickup alot duller sounding than the double?. Im gonna buy a StingRay im just not sure which one, thats where i need your guys help

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Adding the neck pickup definitely gives more versatility, but most of the versatility comes via deep/meaty tones from that neck pickup. If the bass has a 5-way switch between the pickups you can do a lot of things tone-wise with them, but from my experience, that neck pickup is about always going to be pretty smooth and mellow. The punchy 'Ray sound comes mostly from that rear pickup.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Try a search as this was discussed as recently as an hour or two ago.....

IMO, the single H Stingray does everything I need it to and have always owned multiple Stiunray single H basses.

If you don't plan on slapping, buy the HH as it will give you more tonal options.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    HH and HS Stingrays and Sterlings = heresy!

:bag:

5. StingrayJack

StingrayJack

Sep 29, 2008
    Texas
    i was maybe going to put the HH on my 'Ray

what about an HS?
    a2f1_1.

6. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Not that 'Ray...I hope...:confused:

7. StingrayJack

StingrayJack

Sep 29, 2008
    Texas
    if i did it would probably be HS

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Why not go to a GC and try some out?

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1

10. I tend to think that:
    -Stingray4 should be H
    -Sterling HS
    -Bongo HH

11. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Single H = Classic Ray sound.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The rear pup of the HS and HH Ray are in the exact same spot as the single pup ray. The magnets and electronics are also the same so you get the "classic Ray sound" when the selector switch is in position one (rear pup only). For the money the HH ray is more flexible.

As for ergonomics, I can slap on a $$ Warwick, a Ric and a P bass. A HH ray doesn't affect me much either. Mebbe some folks techniques aren't compatible with an HH configuration (shrugs).

FWIW, I don't have an HH Ray (I used to)