EB Stingray SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Sorry, I can't use the search because "SUB" is too short of a query...

What are people's experiences with the EBMM SUB? I was sitting here lamenting about how I could never afford a real Stingray, then I remembered the SUB line. I know there are some differences. If I recall, they don't have the contoured body, right? Different preamp also, and some are passive.

So, how do they sound compared to a "real" stingray? I assume there's a difference, but how big? I see their going for $400 ar a little bit more used on most sites. For that price I can drop in a real stingray preamp in there if I ever had the good fortune of coming accross one.

They're still made in USA, so is the fretwork reliable? That's my biggest concern.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your responses. Also feel free to post pics of your SUBs.
  2. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    The SUB Bass is an excellent instrument. I recently tried a 5 string and plan to get one. It's the same as a Ray. Cost is saved by not contouring the body and having a textured finish. Although the pg is diamond plate, Black pgs are optional. The 2 band electronics is the same as a regular Ray. You have a choice of active or passive. PUPs are also the same.
  3. I've ownd a Teal SUB 4 with 2 band active EQ. Only Ray I'd ever played before was a pre Ernie Ball Ray......to be honest as both had the same 2 band EQ (well, similar at least ) the sounds were very much the same!

I find it a real nice instrument, it could be more comfortable I guess if they contoured the body - but that would add to the cost.

I'm very happy with mine, and right now have no desire to shell out twice as much as this cost me for a real Ray!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very comfortable instrument, I like them a lot. Back in my Stingray days I wanted to pick one up as a backup for my SR4, but couldn't justify spending $700 for a new SUB without case, when that's what I paid for my used Stingray WITH case.

But for $400, I would gladly pick one up.
  5. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I see that the SUB models are also made out of "selected poplar" while the regular Stingrays are made of "selected hardwoods" (which is usually maple, right?). Does that have a big effect on tone? I know that alot of people say that the solid maple body is part of what gives the Stingray it's distinctive tone.

Is the "2 band EQ" the same as the standard preamp on the regular stingray? I also see that the Sterling SUB has the three band EQ.
  6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I believe most regular Rays are made of swamp ash or alder, not maple. While maple is great for neck material, it is not for bodies. I had a pre-EB SR and it had an ash body and maple neck.
  7. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Alright, cool. I only thought they were maple because I thought someone had said so here. But they probably said Alder, and for some reason I thought "maple" in my head.
  8. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
  9. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    in terms of stingray sound, they're spot on - the SUB 4-string has exactly the same pickup and same TWO-band preamp
    i reckon the 3-band sounds slightly different, but only when the mid is boosted/cut - with flat EQ, they sound the same

fretwork is awesome compared to similar priced basses - YES, you will get the same famous Musicman fretwork quality.
    recent pics on the Ernie Ball forums of a factory open day showed SUB basses being made right on the same production line as Stingrays - figures too...
  10. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Awesome, thanks man.

This is looking like the bass for me. :hyper:
  11. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    EB is one of the few companies that I would buy sight unseen, whether its a SUB or a Stingray its going to be EB quality. Thats pretty much how the company works, make everything great and people will buy it. Seems to be working out pretty good for them so far lol
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  13. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    it will be my next bass that is for sure after I am done modding the SX jazz for fun.
  14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Not good for Bodies?

Spectors are maple, so are warwick Streamer LX´s, Older Ibanez Soundgears, and several basses that sound REAALLY good.

The problem is that Maple is too heavy. Tone Wise... I dig it.
    Has a lot of lows, and its snappy