Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ebay fraud

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halftooth, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I found an add on ebay that I know the seller is holding back some damage info on. I think the right thing to do is to notify ebay so that none of the bidders gets screwed on something they don't know about. Does anyone know how you go about this process with ebay? I've seen in the past where people have contacted ebay because people were stealing pictures of basses that weren't their's, etc.

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey Gene,
    I don't know what ebay could do about that. There is a live chat function where you can speak with an Ebay rep about it. I understand your concern. You should report it though.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Also if you feel driven you could email the bidder with your concern. That is, if it is not a privite auction.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    How about leaving us a link to the auction and telling us what the seller is not disclosing?

5. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Dan, this is how shady this auction is! I found out it was a private auction when I was going to attempt to email the bidders about the defect to the bass. It's a pretty serious defect. One that without question should be identified in the description. Thanks for the tip on the chat area. I'll try to see if I can make any progress that way.

6. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2574879434&category=4713

Here's the bassgear post:
    FOR SALE: Warwick Streamer Stage II
    Posted: : 10/31/2003
    Category: Basses
    Condition: Excellent
    Asking Price: $1000

Five string Warwick Streamer stage II in excellent condition. The only problem with the bass is a very minute crack on the back of the headstock. I have had this bass for nearly two years and I will attest to its excellent tone and playability, niether of which were effected by the crack. The previous owner had the crack professionally fixed by a luthier. I took the bass to a local luthier after I bought it who said that the repair was flawless. E-mail for pics. Bass will be shipped in warick flight case.

It's as plain as day! The neck has a crack in it, but it's not stated in the auction, and on top of that, it's private!

I left the sellers name of from the bassgear post, but if you notice, it's the same name on both ebay and bassgear.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    See what's written in the auction ?

"This is truly a bassists bass."

Oh, good to know, thought it was a fridge for diapers enthusiasts...

:rolleyes:

8. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I tried to report this auction to ebay, but unfortunatley, there isn't really anything that can be in this situation. Ebay doesn't have anything protecting bidders against these type of lists. If it were a duplication issue or something of that matter, then something could be done. I feel awefull for the bidders on this bass, and even worse for the poor guy who wins the auction. I wish there was something that could be done to prevent this from happening.

9. This person is knowingly selling a bass with a cracked head stock and is not releasing the info in the auction?

That is just plain wrong. People like that make me sick to my stomach.

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually, the crack is on the neck, just below the headstock. Even worse than having it on the headstock. If you saw the pics of the back of the bass, it's fairly noticible. Unfortunatley, our honest seller decided to leave that one out of the picture gallery.

11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    If I paid over $1000 for a broken bass I would be so mad!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

What if people from TB start to E-mail that dude, tell him we know whats up and ask him to pull the action. Hit his in box with a lot of not so good mail. He just might pull the sale.

12. I sent the guy an email telling him what a sneak he is!

--joe

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't see any cracks in the neck? :confused:

14. You know the bass in question?

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The only reason I know this bass is because it was previously listed on bassgear, and I inquired about it because I thought that I might have known the original owner of the bass who had the crack repaired, and sure enough, it's the same bass with a differrent owner now. I'm sure the bass is fine and has been professionaly repaired, but it needs to be disclosed. It's like buying this sweet used car that looks to be in amazing shape, so you buy it, and then find out that the car had been salvaged! At least when you buy a car that has been salvaged or has had major structural repair, by law you must state that, or else you risk jail time. That's why I'm very cautious with ebay.

As far as the crack in the neck goes, you can see it on a pic of the back of the bass on the ebay auction. If you look at the picture of the bass where it was taken from the top of the headstock looking down the neck, you'll see it. It's a dark line that looks like a grain of the wood, but that's where the crack was. The crack repair is in the center of that pic.

16. LMAO :D

well i try to avoid e-Bay. They left a bad taste in my mouth from my Diablo 2 days ... those cheaky wankers ... made it so easy for a kid with a pay pal account to get all the best gear like nothing while legit players struggled to find or trade for it.

But as for the bass ... well that sucks ... but it did say it was repaired flawlessly? Or i guess that just dosn't matter ...

[/|\]

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Here is a good rule of thumb. Never bid in an auction where the seller keeps the bidders' names private. So many auctions of this type are for the purpose of some sort of fraud.

As for never buying from eBay, that seems a bit extreme to me, but do what you feel you need to do. Personally, I just do whatever I can to minimize the risk. Remember that all deals have some amount of risk. Often times, the greater the risk, the better the deal. So, each person has to find their own personal comfort level in doing online deals.

As for this auction, I wish the buyers the best of luck. It does sound to me that the bass is at least useable despite the damage. Hopefully the buyer will find himself happy with his purchase despite the damage.

As they say, buyer beware.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I buy on eBay but I'd never participate in a private auction. I don't even get the point of them.

19. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i emailed the guy

20. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I wouldn't touch it. I got scammed once by a zero feedback seller. Very risky.