1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ebay replacement neck

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Thebe Mmushi, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Thebe Mmushi

Thebe Mmushi

Aug 4, 2019
    Hello to everyone
    I recently had an accident with my bass at a gig, a speaker fell on my bass and broke the neck and shattered the head in two pieces, I have been looking around for a neck replacement and the only reasonably priced are on ebay. I thought I should ask if anyone has ever bought one and if so, are they worth buying?
    Your help will be highly appreciated, thank you in advance. IMG-20191125-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20191125-WA0001.jpeg

2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  3. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    If those are clean breaks, there is a good chance that well applied hot hide glue will put them back together and hold reasonably well.

I cannot suggest that anyone go with one of the $78 ebay unseasoned Chinese neck blanks. If you are going to all that trouble, the last thing you want is to save a few bucks and buy an unseasoned cheap blank that warps all over the place in three months. The seasoned $350 German made neck blanks from International Violin are excellent quality for what most would consider a very fair price.

Here is one I installed last year + a bit of finish relic work:

DSCN5487.JPG

4. Thebe Mmushi

Thebe Mmushi

Aug 4, 2019
  5. Thebe Mmushi

Thebe Mmushi

Aug 4, 2019
    Thank you for your reply, is International Violin on eBay or should I contact them on their, if so can you please share a link of their website.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The website name is complicated: www.internationalviolin.com

You should also check with Metropolitain Music, www.metmusic.com, as they always have very nice quality products for a good price.

I'd give it a good first try with hot hide glue before I purchased another neck; $2 investment!

If you must go with one of the cheap ebay models, stick it up in the attic for a year or two so it will stabilize before you try to use it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Phil Rowan likes this.