Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ebay scam

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    If you guys recieve any emails from what looks like to be ebay asking you for personal information DO NOT FILL IT OUT!!!. My father was tricked into doing so yesterday, so now he has to get a new bank account and social sercuerity number and all that stuff, be aware.

-danny

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yup. I get e-mail messages like that all the time that purport to be from eBay or PayPal. Yeah, sure, like PayPal can't keep track of my password and other info! I forward them on to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    One of my favorite webpages is www.cockeyed.com

Rob Cockerham chronicles his various adventures in life, but in particular he pays good attention to scams, schemes and trickery. He has a lot of good information on his site about how to identify and avoid scams, and best of all he has a great sense of humor.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I first started getting these I'd start filling in the blanks just for fun with things like "You're an idiot" "nice try dumba$$" and whatnot. I hope just once I got under someone's skin. Probably not though.

brad cook

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I always wondered if anyone was dumb enough to fall for those stupid e-mails. I guess this is why they keep on doing it.

-Mike

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's not so much a question of smart and dumb more like experienced and inexperienced. People that have little internet and computer experience are easily tricked by these things. that's why they still exist.

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I agree. I always fear for when my family wants to check their emails.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah my wife was telling me that one of our friends fell for this and my first thought was "What an idiot!" Then I heard the whole story and it was a little easier to buy, although I still wouldn't have done it. What happened was she went to either Ebay or PayPal (can't remember which) and changed their address and personal info because she and her husband just moved. The very next day she had the email that said something about verifying her change of information at Ebay. IT just happened to be perfect timing for the scammer and she fell for it since she had indeed just changed her info at Ebay. Still a bit naive but she's not really savvy anyway.

brad cook

9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Internet Scammers are spineless lazy #$%holes. Even if the people falling for them ARE stupid, scammers are still $%#holes. Go make a real living scumbags! :spit: