1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBMM Caprice, or other budget friendly options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by filler83, Nov 1, 2018.

1. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    So in my local GC, there is a EBMM Caprice that I have fallen in love with. I am looking for a P or PJ bass to get various sounds with a thinner neck. Right now, I am trying to get something a little less traditional than the typical P, which is why this Caprice seems like great choice. It is a little punchier but can get P and H tones out of it. The only thing that dissuades me is it's a little over my budget. So I started looking at other basses that might get me a similar sound/look to the Caprice but more budget-friendly.

I play 75% pick 25% fingers, mainly classic rock, hard rock, punk, hardcore, and older metal. No slapping. I am sure a traditional P bass would be enough, but just looking for something slightly different.

Some other options:
    - Sandberg Electra VS - it has active electronics, but has that look and youtube videos sound good.
    - MTD CRB 4 - reviews on here sound good. Passive, thin neck, a different body profile.
    - Spector Coda? - again, active electronic, and might be too modern, but seems to check off a lot what I was looking for.

Or should I suck it up and just buy the Caprice? Thoughts?

EBMM Caprice:
    upload_2018-11-1_9-15-24.

Sandberg Electra VS: MTD CRB: Spector Coda:
    upload_2018-11-1_9-17-33. upload_2018-11-1_9-18-32. upload_2018-11-1_9-27-19.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    SPLIT BRICK NECK
    Strong lows and highs, open mids. Like a vintage P bass pickup but with more beef, yet retains clarity. 43 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 8.5K ohms.
    THICK BRICK BRIDGE
    Warm and thick with strong mids. Output and punch like an active, but more organic sounding. 42 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 7K ohms.
    If you really want something different.
    Reverend Thundergun-$999.99

Passive but powerful!
    24xqg60.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The opportunity to buy the Caprice won’t last forever.

4. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    The Caprice is a great bass.

A G&L SB-2 is another great option.

So is the Fender Aerodyne. P/J, jazz neck, I believe in the area of $825 new.

5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ve owned the CRB. In fact 2 at the same time. Great basses. But there is this hollow like tone it has that gets annoying after a while .

Own the Caprice now. It’s the bass that made me sell of all my CV 60’P and Sire V7 Vintage jazz. The Caprice is the best 4 string I’ve ever encountered . Those are being discontinued and discounted now.
    If I were you I would either haggle on the price , or buy one of the several used ones off of Guitar Center Used website. Also you can usually find a used one here in classifieds or Reverb . Do it now before prices start to rise on used product. They already seem to be slowly increasing since the recent price hike by Ernie Ball MusicMan.

If you want something lower cost but great sound and still that slim jazz neck , try a Yamaha BB424X.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    HD007, Haroldo, raphaeld and 2 others like this.
  6. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I
    Thanks for the input. They have them discounted new in store for 1199 - the guy I normally work with at GC says that’s the lowest they can go - close to cost. Bevause the list price is over $2000, the used ones I have seen are priced higher than the clearance price. But I am thinking if I am going to have one bass, the caprice can do it all and. Enter to get the best quality and what I really want

PotsdamBass8, HD007, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I was going to suggest the SB-2 as well. Just got one and it's a rippin awesome bass and they are very affordable.
    C47F97F7-C3DE-462D-AD9C-FB09640359A3.jpeg.

audreycashin, basslifter and jd56hawk like this.
  8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I can't believe you have not bought it yet at that price...used ones are going for more than that!!!

9. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Too bad I can't order from GC!! at this price, I'd rather deal with my bank manager..

Me too!!

HD007 and lowdownthump like this.
  10. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Get the Caprice - NOW!

11. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    If you have tried and love this specific bass, it is definitely worth going over budget for. I have a Caprice and recently got a similarly discounted Cutlass.

The other suggestions are nice too but when you find something like this in real world and then try to sub with something else...in my experience the sub never works and I end up wasting time and money chasing the original.

lowdownthump likes this.
  12. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I know from experience that Spector Coda will feel and sound nothing like the Caprice. The Caprice is a top-notch instrument. That Coda is decent at best.

I was in your exact situation. I played and loved a Caprice, I even bought it from GC. However, the more I played it, the more I couldn't justify what I spent ($1350 used). So, I pieced together a few Fender PJ's and I love them just as much, and I spent around $700 each. The Precision Special is a really great bass. I personally upgraded the pickups, but that's purely taste.

However, if you truly love the Caprice, maybe it's worth the money to be happy!

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Get the Caprice. That’s lower than used pricing and if you decide to flip it later, you’ll likely make a small profit. They’re incredibly good basses.

14. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’ve learned this the hard way oh so many times myself.
    Very sound advice .
    That bass is a steal at that price.
    Some things are worth spending a little extra on.
    You would be getting a new made in the USA bass with boutique quality for made in Mexico or pacrim pricing
    Even the nice made in Japan stuff cost way over that discounted price.

HD007 likes this.
  15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    The Caprice was recently discontinued by EBMM. They're nice basses, and you can probably get a good deal on it.

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Beautiful bass. I had the exact same one.
    I definitely prefer the maple.
    11u9kzc.

Gizmot, metron and audreycashin like this.
  17. I’m hell bent on owning a schecter diamond p plus, discontinued but cheaper than the caprice and it sounds awesome, it’s pretty much a Sandberg, schecter style.

18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you don’t get the Caprice, you will always wish you would have gotten the Caprice.

lowdownthump and HD007 like this.

19. Buy it or you’ll regret it. I’ve been there before, so just find the money. Sell something else later on if you need to recoup funds.

Haroldo, lowdownthump and HD007 like this.
  20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I hope this doesn’t end up being one of those dreaded one that got away/biggest regret bass stories.

HD007 likes this.