1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD EBMM Cutlass Bass - super-rare Coral Red

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kinopah, Aug 3, 2018.

1. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Price:
    Strings:
    575579B7-A635-4E25-95AD-9EFDFEFB84EB copy.

EBMM Cutlass Bass in Coral Red w/rosewood board. EBMM advertises this color, and it looks GREAT, but I've only seen 2 others on the internet like it, which is crazy. The ONLY reason I'm considering selling it that it plays and sounds a lot like my main bass, a Fodera Monarch P Classic. Don't get me wrong, that's a GREAT thing, but I default to that one and this guy is wasted as a backup bass.

Bass is pristine with maybe a couple hours of total play time and no gigs/rehearsals. Finish is beautiful and the rosewood fb is dark and gorgeous. Strung with TI Flats, w/Dual Design StrapLocks, OHSC, and an extra tort pickguard with the plastic still on it (because TORT!). Super easy playing bass with a truly great neck and an awesome warm & gutsy passive P sound.

1250 shipped. No trades at this time. Snag it and save $1000 compared to a new one. PayPal, CONUS only please.

IMG_3088. IMG_3087. IMG_3090. IMG_3091. IMG_3092. IMG_3093. IMG_3096. IMG_3097.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Come to your senses!

emjazz and kinopah like this.
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup...put the tort guard on and don't look back!!!! That is one of the best looking P basses I've ever seen!!

Ephraim and kinopah like this.
  4. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    Phew it was starting to haunt my gas dreams again

lowdownthump, emjazz and kinopah like this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    You would have had sellers remorse .
    You’ve been around this mountain several times before.

6. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Hahaha right?! I'm really enjoying it again, too. Threw some dif strings on my Monarch so the two are feeling very distinct now.

emjazz, lowdownthump and maplenecked like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Wise decision !!

emjazz likes this.
  8. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    BACK ON THE BLOCK.
    Ugh, I WILL have seller's remorse, but extenuating circumstances insist that I relist this guy.
    While I love it, it's my backup and I rarely play it.
    Pretty tough to find one like this, in this condition, and with zero wait for $1000+ less than new.

9. Hey there -

This beauty still available?

Tnx

10. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Yessir.

11. OK good. Answer me one question if you can and I'll grab it from you right away with PP, with the tort! :hyper:

Here's the question: I play Stringray HS - mostly jazz and Latin stuff - I play mostly off the neck pup and the top coil of the bridge pup with everything rolled all the way back - pretty muted, old school sound - very little edge but a good solid low end. So I really don't need a Stringray and it's HEAVY.

I've got an American Pro PBass over here but it doesn't have anything like the Ray's mojo - especially on the low-end it sounds hollow and it booms - the Ray gives me a full, meaty note and good lows all the way down, which is why I stick with it.

I've heard that the Cutlass has a fatter, more punchy sound than a PBass - if so, that's what I want. The P just doesn't do it for me and I'm getting really tired of the heavy Stringray and the EQ etc that I never really use.

You think the Cutlass will do it for me? I've been looking around in the stores but I can't seem to find one to try. I rely on you as a fellow TB'er to give me the story as best you can. I know I'll never regret buying an EBMM - I'm a fanboy - but...

Tnx :bassist:

12. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    I hear you. I don't have a Fender P to A/B it, but I've had them before, and though they are comparable, I would say the Cutlass is hotter with more output and yeah, more guts and less boom (although with the tone all the way off and the bass up it can do that too). And that EBMM vibe is fantastic - they put a lot of love into their product.

Here's a sound sample of a different Cutlass I previously had (straight in with flat eq).

I will say it's a very versatile bass (I guess P's are in general, but even more so). The tone makes a huge difference, and a little EQ goes a long way (compared with the StingRay which kind of retains its character no matter what for me).

Mine is right at about 9lbs.

These are all super relevant q's for anyone who wants to know. If I can answer anything else about it, let's take it to a private conversation. :)

CereBassum likes this.
  13. Good samples - thanks.

Just about anything will boom or crap out if you crank up the bass, but the tone doesn't really seem to do much at all on the Fender - I think it's just a treble cut - never hear much difference in the bass. So tone stays flat and I get as close as I can to what I need with a compressor and the rig. So if the tone works on the Cutlass that's a big plus. Fender always seems to drop the ball on some things. I was thinking of going for a Cutlass when I got the P but I got a very good deal on the P so I went with it, but not happy now.

The main way I get variation on the Ray on those rare occasions when I do need it is with the coil switching and EQ/compression from outside. Except if you turn up the bass past 5, it's true the EQ doesn't do too much on the Ray by itself unless you crank up the treble high (my treble is always on 0...) , but the coil switching can make a big difference especially if you also adjust the bass and the mids on the EQ. Since I don't need a lot of variations it's not an issue for me. I set up my rig and my ax one way at the start of a session and I usually never touch it - I know the gear and the sound I want - all our stuff is Latin and jazz so that's that.

Sending you an answer in private.

Tnx