1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM SR4 + flats with samples

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Micolao, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    here's a couple of clip of my SR4 with a set of vintage Fender flats 50-105 (vintage means that they where in the shop for the last 10 years or so... )
    (first time I put flats on my bass)

Sr4 eq flat into Sansamp BDDI (fat tube mode) into soundboard.
    I didn't know what to play this time so I'm just playing the very first things that came into my mind on the drum clips.

what can I say...I love my SR4 with flats, maybe I'm going to switch to a 45-105 instead of the 50-105 cause the G is really too big...

anyway, hope you enjoy (though I'm not a great player)

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/FLATSFINGER.mp3

http://www.gospel.bo.it/albums/userpics/10109/fLATPLETTRO.mp3

2. Great sound!!!!! Absolutely mega tone!!

Love it!!!!!

3. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    nice tone!

I keep EBMM flats on my SR4 HH and they work well for anything.

It sounds like you've got a rosewood board on that ray?

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Im extremely interested in hearing the reply on this. Not to take if off topic but thats a huge debate as to whether the fretboard wood has any affect on tone. I believe it does, many luthiers disagree with me.

5. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Hey, man. The sound clips sound wicked. I never thought to throw flats on my ray.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    :D you win!

here's the sparkle baby ;)

MM4.
    MM.
    MM3.
    MM9.
    MM8.
    sr42.
    sr44.
    sr45.
    sr49.
    sr412.
    sr46.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    :eek:

Gorgeous neck on that 'Ray!

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Sounds great, man.

I've been telling people about flats on Stingrays for years, and mostly I get either blank looks or "But I won't sound like Flea."

Thanks for taking the time to put those up.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That sounds fantastic.

10. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    thanks guys, now that finally I know that they sound so good maybe I need to find the right flats...
    these fenders sounds really good but maybe they're too much "jamersonian" for me..

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I think it's time to try some flats on my SR4.

Great tone, and I really dug your fingerstyle groove, too. :bassist:

12. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago

My main axe going on 11 years is an SR4 w/ rosewood! So, the difference between a brunette or blonde is huge to my ears. I only recently bought maple necked basses to expand my tonal pallet. My first one was a maple necked SR5 HH, which I happen to keep flats on! I love the flats on my fretted stingrays, maple or rosewood, since I'm not one to slap that often.
    BassAngled.

I tried flats for about 6 months on my 30th anniversary fretless, and they had a really nice bottomy thump to them. But I was really wanting a little more definition and mwaah, so I went back to rounds on that one.
    Bucket1.

Oh, and that is a lovely black sparkle! My favorite flats are the EBMM and the chromes. They start out a little brighter than other brands, but they do mellow nicely, and have a "no-so-sticky" feel, imo.

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yea baby ! delis tone there.

14. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
  15. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    mmm...sounds so bad?

16. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Ps: I'm not really into the Maiden, but I like this song.

17. wow sweet sound Micolao!
    how does slap sound on it?
    P.S. I really dig that harmonic little ditty moving into the next chord change

18. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Having owned an SR4 I have to say that a lot of that meaty tone is owed to the BDDI. Wish I had gotten one sooner because IMO it really brings out the best of a bass' tone. Granted my amp ain't the greatest.

Awesome sound clips BTW.

19. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just wanted to thank you for putting posting normal fingerstyle sound clips.

So many times, I just want to hear a bass with simple straight forward playing.

Please don't take "simple" the wrong way. It just seems everytime I hear a sound clip of a bass, it is a slap clip.

Your playing and tone sound great.

I use Lakland Joe Osborn flats on my Fender 57' P. I really dig them. Nice growl, excellent feel, and not too tight.