EBMM Sterling switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by moderatelyfunky, Jul 10, 2020.

1. moderatelyfunky

moderatelyfunky Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Suddenly with no lead up symptoms, the center position on my EBMM Sterling switch acts like a kill switch. Not in the good way like the recent TB discussion.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

2. Open up the cavity and physically check all soldered wires at the switch, make sure all wires are still connected...for starters.

the middle position, if I am correct, is the Single Coil setting. The Sterling Pickup is a 3-coil design that uses a phantom coil beneath the two exposed coils for hum-free operation. If the wires at the switch are good, perhaps something is going awry with the pickup...

moderatelyfunky likes this.
  3. moderatelyfunky

moderatelyfunky Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks for your reply, I'll double check the physical connections.

This is the second pickup in this 7 month old bass. The phantom coil came unglued in the first one. EBMM shipped me a new pickup and I installed it myself. That's probably the biggest clue to the problem, but I solder small electronics all the time. I used heat shrink tubing and things worked beautifully for two months or so.

I'm waiting to hear back from EBMM about troubleshooting suggestions.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021