1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBMM Sterling Unfinished Maple Neck/Fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I am Soma, Oct 24, 2017.

1. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Howdy all!
    Got my new EMBB Sterling yesterday and its awesome. This is my first instrument with an "unfinished" neck and fretboard - both are maple. I found a nice EMBB video on caring for the neck but the intro says the fretboard portion doesn't pertain to maple fretboards.

Just looking for insight as to how to clean/care for the fretboard itself :)

SoonerBill likes this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Here's one way...

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  4. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    thanks is that a specific product you've used?

5. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    No, just offering a suggestion... I don't possess any unfinished maple necks/fretboards, that I know of... remember, it's just wood. Have you tried contacting EBMM?

7. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Sure did thanks!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    What did they say to do?

9. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    I emailed them late yesterday and haven't heard back yet :)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I use Minwax Tung oil on my oiled necks. It is a polymerized tung oil with a little varnish so it dries quicker. I am currently in a process of doing a neck with Birchwood and Casey's Tru-Oil (what EBMM recommends) and, so far, I prefer working with the "tung." The Tru-Oil leaves a great high gloss finish though.

Anyway, I treat my necks as EBMM does. I do this all with the neck off. If you want to leave the neck on, get a lot of tape on the bass (including over the magnets if you use steel wool.) You give the neck a quick sand with some 0000 steel wool, just to get it smooth. Even with the neck off, you will still want to tape the headstock or anywhere finished with poly to prevent scuffing. EBMM pour a little oil on the neck and wipe it down. After doing so, immediately wipe it off with a fresh shop towel. Let it sit and dry for a few minutes. Then repeat two or three more times with a little buff between coats. After the 3rd coat (tops), just wipe the neck down with some wax. I use Zymol, I just wipe it on and wipe it off in the same fashion. I tend to do a second coat of wax too.

I do not touch the fingerboard. The oil is a sticky mess so I just tape off the board. If you need to clean it, I have used a razor blade to get the serious gunk off mine. EBMM wonder wipes are actually pretty darned good for cleaning.

Expect to do this 3-4 times a year at absolute most. I probably do mine every year or so and most EBMM players I know never do it. You can tell when the neck needs a touch-up, you can feel the pores. Do this all outside or somewhere with a concrete floor that you can afford to damage. Both the oil and wax will leave stains. I sit on my front step and do this, there are permanent spots on one of my concrete blocks. When I oil in my mechanical room, I put down a thick layer of newspaper. The oil will slowly soak through several layers. You do not want to worry about that when you are all covered in oil.

Here is basically the same info with a little more detail:

Removing A Neck Finish

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's not unfinished, it has a gunstock oil and wax finish. Clean it with naphtha if it gets really grungy, and follow it with a thin coat of gunlock oil and wax.

And I think it's an EBMM Sterling and not the much rarer EMBB variety.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    I thought I was safe using "unfinished" as that is the way the vendor has them referenced in their FAQ :roflmao:

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Problem is that people get the idea that they really are unfinished and they're not.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think unfinished equates to 'gluten-free'...

15. I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Thanks all. She is super clean and super shiny. Was actually a very fun almost meditative experience

Spidey2112 likes this.