Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS Bass IQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jun 27, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I really want the EBS Bass IQ, but is there a cheaper alternative? I don't want something that will take ALL of the bass and tone away.

:confused:

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    So, something that will take all of the bass and the tone away? So what will you be left with? Silence? :confused:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Why do you think it will take all of the bass and tone away?

Generally, you get what you pay for. I can't think of another pedal in same form, same price range that does up/down/auto wah. The sound can be a little 'dry', not as wet as a mutron, but still good.

4. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    No, I think something cheaper would take the tone away. Now with that in mind, read what I said in the first place again.

And to Jack, well I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying.

5. Your first post does imply that you think the bass IQ takes the tone away. Maybe you need to be more careful with your sentence structure.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have been looking for one of these pedals and can't find one. Suggestions?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Your paragraph read that way to me and others.

Now with that in mind, read what I said in the first place again.

You haven't been specific about what you want an envelope filter pedal to do. There are one function pedals such as the dod fx-25, mxr auto q or multi function ones such as the EBS.

If you want multi function, I haven't come across anything that does everything the EBS does in the same form for the same price range. Are there cheaper pedals that do parts of what the EBS does, and just as well? Sure there are, and I've mentioned some of them. But what parts do you want? Then we can better recommend something.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Slug - I read your post as "I like the BassIQ, but if I can find something like a BassIQ that's cheaper, that's alright by me as long as it doesn't COMPLETELY suck all my low end and tone out". Yes?

The BassIQ is the whole game, IMHO. But it *doesn't* have an auto-wah (cyclical constant wah) sound in it. It's just down, up, and up "extra sharp". But the up filter on it is simply the cat's ass.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're right, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that

10. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The BassIQ is nice, but the sound is very "clean" and it doesn't give that "greasy" funk autowah tone (such as a Q-tron, meatball, mutron or my pedal of choice: moogerfooger lowpass).

It sounds good with bass (the High Q is a little thin), but when I had one, I felt like I needed more grease in my tone so I sold it.

It is good for what it does, but just make sure what it does is what you want it to do.

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    DOes anyone know what was used in the 70's tune "Money"? That is what I am after. I am guessing Mutron or Q-Tron.

12. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yep.
    KB, thanks for making me realize that about the sound.

I'm looking at the Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker now. From the recording I heard, it gives me exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone tried one?

13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Where did you hear it? I have been looking for that also.

14. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I thought it made sense.

Perhaps, this would work better:
    I really want the EBS Bass IQ, with all its non tone suckingness, but is there a cheaper alternative? I don't want this cheaper one to take ALL of the bass and tone away, like the Bass IQ doesn't do.

Wait nevermind, I'm confused... :(

15. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Go here

"31-49 secs: Alternate groove with 2 bass tracks: Left side features BR-2 Bottom Wah Rocker, while the right side features a counterpoint using the MD-2."

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That thing sounds pretty good to me.

17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I just ordered my EBS Bass IQ from Bass Northwest. YUMMY.

18. pick up an old DOD fx 25 or boss ft2 if you want a cheaper (admittely inferior) solution. Both sound good on the bass. I have an IQ, FT-2 and Q Tron. envelopes are good :hyper: !!!

19. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Try playing a P-bass with a pick, thru a phaser, and I think you'll like what you hear... :D

20. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The BassIQ is worth the money. I got mine last night and I couldn't stop playing. It has a huge gammut of sounds tone and dialability. Get one if you can. Bass Northwest has them for a really good price right now.