1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Billy Sheehan Signature Drive - using the loops

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arcureo, Jul 7, 2014.

1. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Hi there, I just got the EBS Billy Sheehan pedal and it reeeeally does sound killer. My only complaint is that the loops get switched off when the pedal is not in use. I kinda hoped they would have kept on working, but probably, since the pedal is true bypass, when it's off it really sends your bass signal straight from the input to the output.
    One question, though... on the instruction sheet, right after the part on the insert cables to be used on the loop outputs, it says:

"Note: You may also connect a mono plug directly into the insert jacks without damaging the send output. This gives you the option of mixing different sources without necessarily using the send signal."

What does that mean? Any suggestions? Did someone experiment on this?

Thanks!
    A'

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    I guess it means you can use the pedal as a mixer. The final output from the EBS is a blend of the clean and dirty channels. Normally you can apply additional FX to these channels with the send/return sockets. However, if you plug a mono jack in there instead, the send part gets ignored and only the return is used.

So, if you split your signal before the EBS, route it to another pedal, then plug that into one of the returns, whatever sound you plug in will replace either the clean or dirty channel of the pedal.

I can't think of many situations where this would provide anything useful though!

arcureo and oerk like this.
  3. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Yeah me neither...
    Go figure...! :cautious:

4. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    If you play a 2nd instrument (let's say a mono synth) and want to route it through your effects, then it would be useful. Or you could use it to mix the 2 pickups of a Sheehan signature bass (one that goes through dirt and not the other).

5. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    I see, but wouldn't it still be more useful (and practical) il the loops were still active, even with the pedal turned OFF? Then you turn it ON and blend in the distortion, but if it's off at least you get to have the other effects in that particular loop.

6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Why not just keep those other pedals OUTSIDE the EBS's loop, if you're so set on using it/them with the EBS off?

7. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Well, yes... not that the way you suggest wouldn't work fine, too, of course... but I also want to use them with the EBS ON, from time to time, and with the effects loops you can adjust the clean level (with all the other effects) along with the distorted level, so you find the perfect mix between the two.
    But - again - only when the pedal is on.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Get an aby pedal and stick it in the dirty loop. This way you can leave the EBS pedal on all the time, and kick the dirty channel on and off at will. Works for me quite well

Correlli, BassikLee and arcureo like this.
  9. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Or, you could add additional effects to your dirty channel before ending the loop. For instance, you could stick an octave (up) pedal and a hint of delay on the dirty channel and then route it back in and you'd sound like two instruments doubling the same part almost. Am I understanding this correctly? (this pedal is on my wish list but I haven't tried it yet)

10. Eadger

Eadger Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Colorado
    All I know is...

"Billy Sheehan's not my lover. He's just a guy..."

hintz, arcureo and aledeville like this.
  11. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Yeah, ga_edwards, precisely!! I just saw a video in which the man himself explained that very trick! I have an EHX Switchblade lying around that might just do the trick! ;)
    Thanks ya'all! :thumbsup:

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Good idea! That means the compressor should be always on then too even without the dirt.

Also, if you haven't tried putting many pedals in the loops on this, the 2 channels are out of phase so cancel out low end when mixed together. It sounds SO much better when you put a pedal in either of the loops that flips the phase.

13. i'd try using an eq in both channels. cut some lows in the distorted one and cut some highs in the clean one.

14. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Hmmm... the pedal's construction is precisely designed to avoid low frequency loss in the distorted sound (by mixing in some of the clean signal, with its full bottom-end) so it would be kinda pointless, IMHO.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Turning up the tone control filters out the lows from the dirt channel already, but yeah, putting one in the clean loop to reduce highs would be a good option.

It's designed to do the opposite IMHO, it drops lows because the sounds are out of phase unless you use another pedal to flip the phase in one of the loops. I enquired about this with EBS and they said it was by design as Billy wanted it to sound thinner like a guitar rather than a bass!

16. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Yes, it does sounds very Billy-esque, but what I meant is that the clean channel that can be mixed in with the trebly-sounding distorted channel to beef it up a notch and give its low end punch back.

17. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    It worked! I used an EHX switchblade on the distorted channel.
    The Man himself explained this trick, that also ga_edwards suggested, right here (at 6'44"):

I still think that leaving the loops active (maybe just the clean one) independently from the pedal's on/off switch would have made more sense... but Billy must have had his reasons to do so.

cool.png

Ebelow and Bass5150 like this.
  18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Possibly because Billy likes a clean stage and not to have a pedal board at his feet. Therefore he keeps his pedalboard on top of his amp and runs a cable to a remote pedal from the dirty loop to switch the distortion in and out (he also uses a secondary EBS sig drive in the clean loop to give it a little 'hair').

I'd guess that keeping his pedal board on top of the amp also lets home adjust it mid show.

The only other pedal he has on the floor is a 12 step midi controller to generate bass tones a la Taurus pedals.

19. arcureo

arcureo

Mar 7, 2007
    Padova, Italy
    Yep, saw that part, too... pretty interesting!
    :wideyed:

20. is it possible to mod this pedal instead of using a phase changing pedal in the drive loop for this phase issue? changing a capacitor or something like that? also maybe a mod to bypass tone control fixed q?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021