1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Fafner schematics needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NovakD, Aug 4, 2012.

1. NovakD

NovakD

Aug 4, 2012
    I need your help with my EBS Fafner that started malfunctioning lately. It develops a noise - it sounds like a 50Hz hum. It appears regardless of the input gain or EQ controls. When I turn the amp on, it is dead quiet for 3-4 seconds and then it starts. As I turn the volume more and more, the hum gets progressively louder.

I thought it was the preamp tube, so I swapped it with a new one, but it didn't help - it behaves the same. I troubleshoot everything - changed speaker cable, then power cable, but it still hums. I noticed that it almost disappears when I turn the drive all the way up. It completely disappears when the drive is fully clockwise and the "Character" switch is in inner position. I tried the trick with connecting a patch cable to effects send/return, but it didn't help.

I uploaded a video on the youtube, please make sure you are watching it in Hi Quality and using the headphones so you can hear what's going on. Believe me, it is much worse in person - my camera doesn't record audio very well.

There is another issue that I forgot to record: when volume is set at any level above 0 (let's say 9 o'clock) and the gain on minimum, when I play the bass, I can hear a distorted sound. It used to be dead quiet. I don't know if this is related to the first problem, but both of them started at the same time.

I tried to contact EBS to give me the schematics, but they pointed me to the EBS dealer in my country. It is 500km away from me and it's really not convenient for me to ship the amp. On the other hand, I have a local tech that I really trust, who fixed a lot of stuff for me so the schematics is the only thing I need.

Thank you.

2. NovakD

NovakD

Aug 4, 2012
    Anyone?

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Get your local tech to contact the dealer. Often companies will provide service manuals to techs but not to owners.

4. traynor1132

traynor1132

Dec 10, 2002
    new york
    is it fixed ,,what was it?

5. NovakD

NovakD

Aug 4, 2012
    My tech cleaned all connections and pots he could, and it was gone. He wasn't sure what exactly was the problem.

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Have you contacted EBS support directly? I've had several exchanges of email with them, and while it sometimes takes a few days, they've always gotten back to me with good information, and responded to followups.

http://www.bass.se/2009/contact.htm