1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EBS Microbass2 vs Sansamp Bass Driver Programable

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by quinos, Nov 30, 2006.

1. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Hello to everyone.
    I have a great doubt about this two preamps. I have the option of buying the EBS by the same price as the sansamp (which was my first option) so now I have no idea about which one to buy. I am looking for a good tube simulation, and distortion in one pedal, because I want to add character to my bass sound, looking for a vintage sound (but I want the posibility of a modern sound too, because I don't know which style I will play in a year or two). I think both pedals are great, but I want to buy the best of this two pedals, the most versatile, the one with the higuest quality.
    Please, help me in this dilemma.
    Thanks to all.

2. The EBS will give you one good sound. The programmable can give you three different good sounds. You decide if you need three sounds on the fly. If you don't, you should get the EBS or a regular Sansamp instead of the programmable one...

3. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    The ebs could give not only one good sound, I think it could give me two differents sounds, for example, a tube sound and a tube sound plus a little bit of distortion, with the option of changing between them....the sansamp could give me the option of three different sounds, I don't think I could need this 3 sounds, I think 2 is perfect, but my question is wich one is the best, i.e., wich one is a better buying for the same money...
    I think the only thing that the sansamp looks better than the EBS is that the Sansamp is by-pass but the EBS not, but I don't know if someone could add something more....
    The EBS in Europe costs more than 300 €, even though the sansamp cost 225€....I think it's a great difference, I don't know why.....maybe the EBS has a better quality??a better sound???a better tube emulator???.....my doubt comes because I have the option of buying the ebs almost new to a guy for the same price of the sansamp!!!!.
    Please I need a hurry help!!
    Thanks a lot.

4. True. You can A/B sounds. But sound B has overdrive and sound A has not. So no switching between two overdriven sound like on a Sansamp.

Both pedals are high quality. The EBS has some more options.

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I had a Microbass II and found it to be very noisy as soon as I wanted to add some touch of drive. FWIW.

6. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Yes, you are right, but I think I won't need two sounds with distortion, but this a point to the sansamp.

It this true??? Oh I can't believe it, EBS has the fame of doing unnoising effects...please, have more people find this problem???.
    More advices please!!!, I have to finish or not the treat today!!!:help:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I wouldn't say it's noisy, but I did have a hard time trying to get the A/B thing matched on levels when switching clean/od.

8. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I recomend sansamp para driver.Tube emulation is pretty good and you have the blend knob to adjust it to your taste,turn it down ,you have no tube emulation,turn it up the tube emulation is mixed with the dry sound,in microbass bass you can only switch it on I think,you cant blend it.But you have a fx blend in microbass(which is very handy actually),in sansamp there is no fx blend.Separate boosts in xlr and line out come very handy in para driver.If you are looking for a tube emulator and you want to control it(blend knob),para driver is very good at that,great little gadget.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the EBS Microbass II and don't find it noisy. It's definitely not true-bypass, but then again, it's not designed to be an effects pedal.

I'll say it's incredibly versatile, as you can plug two basses in and use this pedal as a switcher, you can plug one bass in and select two completely different tones, you can use this as a headphone amp, a direct box, a preamp in front of a power amp, and so on...

I'm not as familiar with the Sans Amp programmable, but I did have the SABDDI for a few years. As a direct box, it helped to thicken my sound in a good way, but as an effects pedal, that same thickening had a negative impact on my tone. IMO, it's less "natural" sounding of an overdrive than EBS'.

Both products seem to be very well built and have overlaps in function, while having unique qualities. If you're looking strictly for an overdrive, either one will suit you well, though they have different tonal qualities. My preference is for the EBS. YMMV.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I have the EBS, great little pre-amp which is a dream to record with.

I also looked at the sansamp but went for the EBS because it offered more features and just had a more preferable tone to my ears.

11. quinos

quinos Guest

Jun 24, 2005
    Spain
    Thanks a lot to everyone.
    I think I will take the EBS today.
    More comments are wellcome!!;)

12. apples and oranges.

The EBS is designed to be set and left in circuit permanently, the way I see it. It can be used as an effect, but it has some shortcomings in this mode such as the inability to match levels between the channels and the lack of any bypass (true or not, it just doesn't have a bypass mode!)

So, if you're looking for the ability to switch between bypassed, tube simulation and overdrive, the BDDI is definitely the way to go.

13. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    One more vote for the SansAmp Paradriver :) I tried it at my local gear-shop a few days ago, and if I didn't have my all-tube head, I would sure as hell have been using this thing.