1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EBS Reidmar Aux input repair/mod. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmakas, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Hi!

After my last great experience here on TB I have another nut to crack for you guys.

My amp has a 3,5mm stereo input for auxiliary sound sources. The jack itself was wiggly so I removed it and soldered a short cable in its place where I can plug my phone into for practice.

This was really a temporary solution until I get the right kind of pcb mini jack that I need. Well, it turns out that I might be able to modify the amp more to my liking by addressing the following two issues:

1. The aux input does not have a volume control. I would like to add one. It's not nice connecting ones phone to a fully powered 750w amp on full power.. I am contemplating between a stereo and a mono potentiometer. The manual says one can use both, a mono or stereo input, so I figured there must be some kind of mixer before the output. Does this mean I could tap into the mono signal after the mixer and insert the pot? Or am I safe to just add a (ganged) stereo pot straight after the input jack before going to the pcb? Even a mute button or switch of any kind would really be enough or even added to the volume control it would be nice!

2. I would like to have the aux input at the front, possibly next to the potentiometer mentioned in point 1. Is there anything that I should consider before drilling a hole in the front for the jack? This would also make it easier to find a jack for it, since I would pull wires to the pcb and not have to find the exact matching pcb-jack.

Thanks in advance ;)