EBS TD650 issue - no BRITE control!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Before I have the local tech take a look at the problem - I thought I'd run it by the TB clan to see if anyone would have any ideas or suggestions for fixing this problem...

Here we go..... on receipt of the amp, everything functioned perfectly, except I noticed the BRITE control wasn't working. I also have a HD350, so I know what to listen for.

Here's the interesting thing.... after awhile, the BRITE control just started to work (while the amp was running)! I would shut the amp off, put it in standby or out of standby, lift it up, move it around - plug in back in and it still worked!

Then - I pushed in the BOOST button and it went out again! (BTW - the BOOST function does seem to work!)

Next - I popped the lid, "blew" on the circuit board by where the BRITE pot attaches to the board, twisted the BRITE control a bunch of times (and pushed the BOOST button in an out a few times). I re-attached the top, plugged it in again and.... the BRITE control worked again!

Well, I couldn't resist (and I wanted to confirm it) - so I pushed the BOOST button a few times and the BRITE went out again! I haven't been able to get it back!

Does this sound familiar to any problems anyone else has had with EBS stuff (or any other amps)? Does it sound like a complex problem or easy fix?

Looking for suggestions! Help! :crying:

BTW - the amp still sounds INCREDIBLE, even without the BRITE control working!

Thanks, all!

2. That sounds like a factory defect. You should have EBS fix that for you !
  3. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    I got it "used" - so there's no warranty.

I'm hoping I can have it fixed locally (Cleveland), so I don't have to ship it!

I also sent a description of the problem to Brooklyn Gear, who (I believe) is the only US distributor?

Again - even without the BRITE working it sounds great! I'd just like it to be in a 100% functional state!
  4. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Any "tech types" with any ideas? suggestions?

I'm trying to avoid having to ship this out for repairs!

5. My advice is to email EBS tech support (see their website for the address) and tell them your situation, in my experience, they have been very quick to respond, and also very helpful.
  6. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, I did e-mail tech support on Thursday and haven't heard anything yet.
  7. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Matts can be a little busy and is sometimes slow to respond. No doubt NAMM has something to do with the current sitch. Impress upon him the lack of authorized support in your area and he might be able to do something for you directly. That aside, I think their only USA service center is in Florida. Sounds like an IC problem, but could just need a re-solder on the board. These EBS amps are great but they could use a better board mounting system.
  8. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Thanks, Mongo!

Yes, I guess the recent NAMM show could be putting them a bit behind!

Thanks for giving me something to check!