Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EBS vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dees, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Well, I finally went to the music shop to test some rigs, but I have some final questions, and you guys could help me with (I suppose so)
    So play in a metal band, but also in a rock cover band, and at home, play some diffirent styles (funk, blues,progressive,....)
    I need a new amp, but want some second advice from you guys.
    I tested the EBS Fafner with the 4*10" cab, it sounded great for metal, but I don't know f it will sound good for rock (Alice Cooper kind of stuff).
    I also realli liked the Ampeg SVT-4PRO with the 410HLF, but I thought it wasn't very versatile, but nevertheless very cool for rock.
    I think these are my options, can anyone give some good advice?
    thanks in advance

2. Falk

Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Norway
    Hmm...

I'd go with EBS. It's not that I don't like Ampeg, I just like EBS a tiny bit more. (That's my point of view).

On a more general note, if you like both, I say go with the one that is most versatile. It's up to you to find out which one that is. Versatility is a keyword when looking for a good amp.

3. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I don t like the hd350 but the two others heads from EBS are really better than svt4 or 3pro by ampeg.

You can reproduce the ampeg sound with an EBS but you won t reproduce the EBS sound quality with an ampeg head.
    I have changed my svt3pro to a fafner, there is no comparison possible.
    Much more dynamic, versatility, warmth.

When I tried the fafner head with only 1tube, i said, " how ampeg can have this colder sound with 4 tubes?" :eyebrow:

EBS for ever :bassist:

4. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    All tube SVT-CL or SVT2(pro) and you can't go wrong. But...as said others likes daughters, and other likes mothers ;)

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you can tell me whether eating an apple or eating an orange would bring me more satisfaction, I'll tell you which rig you'll like better. ;)

6. And some people like the fathers!

But seriously, all the gear mentioned is very nice. So it really comes down to personal preference. And nobody´s forcing you to get both the amp and the cab from same manufacturer. Try the Ampeg cab with the EBS head and vice versa - maybe you can combine the best of both worlds.

Then buy the EBS rig. ;)

7. the problem is that there are not much shops around here that have those amps in stock, and when they do have them in stock, I always get the ennoying salesman.
    Maybe I'll look into the Ampeg SVT-2 or Cl, but don't know I'll have sufficient funds for those.
    But one of my questions is: can I get a good old rock tone (like Alice Cooper, Dio, Deep Purple,....) out of the EBS rig?

And I hate making these kind of decisions, I just wish there was a decent bass store around here.

8. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I think you can , without bright , with compression a big mid frequences.
    The Drive Knob can also be a vintage factor to your sound.

9. It depends. Will it sound like a vintage SVT with 8x10? Heck no. Will it give you an useful rock tone? Oh yeah. Fafner is very versatile head and I know many rock players who swear by it. Cabinet configuration plays a big part too, 15-inch speaker(s) can give you a more "old school" sound.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rock sound? Heck yeah! I had a Fafner and EBS 4x10 for about 5 years. It's versatile enough to go from clean and clear jazz to warm to downright crunchy. IMO, the versatility of a Fafner can pull off just about anything.

11. I think the ladies in sweden are beautiful, but not as friendly as the one in copenhagen. St. Louis girls are friendly, but tend to be bottom heavy.

In sum, I would buy the ampeg, which offers great tone, reputation and much more value for your dollar. The EBS is exotic, but not necssary to get a good tone.

12. Mind you, we´re talking about euros here, so I think the value aspect actually favors EBS. Also, I wouldn´t consider EBS "exotic", at least not on this side of the pond.

BTW, I´m not trying to put Ampeg down. If that´s the sound you´re after, go for it. Unfortunately their products tend to be very expensive in Europe. The SVT CL goes for about 2000 euros, whereas Fafner can be had for ~1500.

13. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    I've heard one EBS rig live and hundreds of Ampeg rigs live. Both sound great, as does any live bass player with talent and a decent sound man. Amp brands will not determine your ability to sound good. However, (more inportant) it will leave a permanent stain on the minds of your audience in respect to your tastes in gear. Will EBS be around forever? Who the hell knows. Ampeg on the other hand, is much like God. The absolute original and no matter how much you attempt to ignore it's presence, it's always close by to make you feel guilty. I love my Ampeg! :smug:

14. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I would go for the EBS. I have a HD350, but I'm changing it for a Fafner or a TD650. Why? Not because it doesn't sound great, but because I want to have the "best" and most expensive amp from the brand :p The HD350 is very versatile, from old-school rock to Jaco growl to phat heacy basses to whatever you want.

I really don't like the Ampegs so much. Not even the SVT. For my ear the middle range sounds a lit funny compared to a EBS.