1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eccles sonata 4th movement.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by MartinBorgen, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Had a few days with lots of extra time to practise, so I included the Eccles sonata, 4th movement to get some varity. I'm not really sure how I want to finger the bars 13-18 and 25-32. Anyone knows a graceful way to do it?

2. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Here are my fingerings in those places you mentioned and any octave G's are harmonics:

In 13 and 17 I do thumb 3
    14 and 18 I do 1 3
    15 I do either 2 3 or 3 3
    16 I do 2 1
    25 I do 1 1
    26 I do 1 4
    27 1 3; do not keep your first finger down and use the harmonic D
    28 I do T 3
    29 I do T T
    30 I do T 1
    31 I do T 3 using harmonic D
    32 I do T 3
    For 25-32, keep either thumb or first finger down on the F on the A string

If you need any more feel free to ask. :D

3. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    There really is no way to do it that feels comfortable...remember, it was originally a Violin sonata.

4. Ah, thanks. seems like the most logcial way - pretty much what I already did but It felt so akward that I had to ask.

Thanks!

5. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Eccles fourth movement is easily one of the more awkward pieces you will ever have to play. The most awkward piece you will ever play is any movements of the Bach Six Suites for Cello...even when transposed to a more bass-friendly key.

6. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Violin? You mean a baby bass right?

7. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    In my edition it says that it was originally for Violin and Piano.

8. Probably violin and continuo, which would probably mean a Harpsichord in the context.

Interesting though - on the wikipedia page, it mentions twelve sonatas for bass, and I always thought this was one of them. But perhaps the wikipedia article is just plain wrong, and he only wrote twelve sonatas for violin?

9. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

Aug 1, 2012
    Harpsichord would make sense as Eccles was a Baroque composer.