1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Echo Park vs. DL4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Dec 25, 2006.

1. So with the recent xmas cash I recieved, I'm going to buy a delay pedal. I actually really really like the Line 6 echo park pedal, but I've considered the DL4. There are more options, and the ability to have 3 presents interests my greatly. What are some pros of each, and what are some cons? I like to stamp down a little bit on the pedals, and I've heard the DL4 switchs are right on the board itself, so heavy footed stompers like myself are more prone to breaking them. But can you turn the other two presets on at the same time? And if you mess with the delay knob, do you get that cool sped-up-slow-down effect like you do on the Echo Park? I might be using this for looping too, so the DL4 looks a little more interesting, but I don't want something that would break on me in 2 months.

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The more I play with the DL4, the more I'm convinced that it will do anything! Beware...if you get the expression pedal with it, you'll be awake longer than a Speed Freak playing with it.

Just my .02,
    Thom

3. I'm going to have to give a plus one to the DL4, because I have recently retierd my Echo Park because of noise issues and the fact that it (along with all other Tonecore pedals) cannot be daisy chained which p!sses me off a treat.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...get a DD-20...

5. ...And that's all you have to say? How do you expect me to take your statement seriously when you have nothing else to back it up with?

6. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Here's a review that might help with the pros/cons of the DL-4 and DD-20:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/1006_DelayPedals.php

A couple of months ago I bought a DD-20, and a friend has the DL-4. IMO, the DD-20 is a bit more straightforward delay unit, with an added loop sampler and four memory presets, while the DL-4 has more modeled sounds, and a better looping interface. Which is better depends on your needs/preferences.

7. Now I want a dl 4 and a dd-20. I've never used the dl4, but messed around with a dd-20. I like the boss, but the dl has that expression pedal going for it. But the dd20 is much cheaper. I'd go with the dd-20 unless you really want the expression pedal.

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've used a dl4 for around 6 months now. I got it because of it's flexibility and the ability to save patches- although 3 patches is nowhere near enough for the amount of different noises that you can get out of it. My favorite thing about it is the tap tempo feature allowing you to "Sync up" with tempo's9 after all, who plays gigs the same tempo as during rehearsal?). Admitedly I tend to find way fewer uses fot it than i do od, octavers and synths. The most use it gets it's with it's Slow gear function. If I was primarily a guitarist I'd use it far more.
    As a looper I'd put it behind the akai headrush in terms of useability - not true bypass in looper more so can become noisy. Also it has no undo function once you're adding layers to your initial loop which poses limits on it's use in a song writing context (for me). I do dig the fact that you can reverse/halftime your loops. I tried the echo park for a short while and was relatively impressed, But only as impressed as I was by the boss dd6.
    I'm still concerned about how long the dl4 is going to last before I break it. It suffered a set back last month when it got soaked mid gig (I know, My brain's a steaming turd) but miraculously came back to life a few days later. It certainly isn't boss, tech 21... durable

9. Have you been able to record loops with delays in them? I don't think that's possible but i'm just checking. Oh, also, could you record a loop, and then overdub a reverse loop on top of it? How hard was it?

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yes 1.- it's designed with the idea of recording an initial "clean" loop and then being able to play/record with delay/modulation, in mind.
    However, the delay and modulation you can use are on the subtle side as opposed to the time warp space bending variety.

Yes 2. You can record a loop, kick the reverse switch, record your next loop and when you tap the reverse switch again you initial loop will be normal, and your second loop reversed.

11. Alright, that's what I thought. I didn't want time warp bending delays for the loop, just a nice 1 second or so delay on it so it gives it some ambiguity on when it actually starts and stops the phrase.

12. bump

13. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I personally dont like either the DL4 or the echo park they both sound very digital and fake sounding to me and very cold.
    Go for the DD-20 if you want presets and better sound other wise you should just work on get several delay pedals. Its kinda like is a multi effects board ever really as good as indivdual pedals? probably not but they are great if you want a bunch of different delays for a pretty good price.

14. After a trip to guitar center, I tried out both loop options on the pedals. I do agree that the Boss had a little more clarity in the tone department, but the DL4 was a little easier to navigate control wise. But, the DL-4 DID have the option for me to add a reverse part in the loop fairly easily once I got the hang of it, which was something the DD-20 did not have. I could live without having a reverse function in my loops, although if I had a choice I would rather have it. Right now I'm considering if I want to pay $250 that could be a crap shoot, or $180 for something I know will be built like a ****ing tank.

15. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    The dd20 also has memory storage for up to 9 loops (?) unless I misread that.

16. I knownmoney is always an issue, but my guitarist lent me his Line 6 Echo Pro, and I thought it was pretty fantastic. I'm not really a big fan of line 6 gear overall though. I have a Pod Xt I barely use, except sometimes for recording purposes, but my guitarist uses the Vetta II head going through a mesa cab, and the guitar head sounds great. Boss pedals are like that public bathroom "John Wayne" toilet paper; tough as hell, and don't take no ***t! :D I've been able to find great, useable sounds in every Boss pedal I have tried. My gut says the DD-20 is the better buy... My two cents:bassist:

17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I don't recall the DD-20 having the ability to store loops at all. When you stop the loop, I'm pretty sure that it is erased. Could be wrong....

18. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I've heard a lot about DL4s crapping out, and you said you stomp pretty hard, which is a big issue when the switches are mounted directly to the PCB. Just my humble opinion as a DIYer. The DD-20 probably doesn't have as many options, but it's reliable and, in my circumstances, will do anything you need it to do in a band situation.