1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eco Friendly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Apr 21, 2010.

1. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm still about the wood for the wood. Species come and go. We are simply a factor in natural selection of vegetation.

It's impossible to protect every species out there - it's an eat-or-be-eaten world. Come whatever may.

Besides, it we chop down all of the other trees that take thousands upon thousands of years to grow, these faster growing "Phoenix Trees" can take over.

2. Eco-Friendlieness is a HUGE factor for me (Ecology Major).

However, i'm also not the most affluent person out there to go spending thousands on a small green-friendly luthier (unfortunatly). So, the best i can do is practice, whole-heartedly, the second of the three 'R's: REUSE!

I think.. i KNOW... no matter how destructive any sort of wood harvesting (as well as social/exploitative manufacturing process issues) can be to the earth... it's ALWAYS less harmful to REUSE something than it is to build/make/create a NEW something, no matter how fast growing the wood can be.

Now... i will stop before i prattle on... i'm WAY to sensitive/passionate about this issue... :meh:

3. In order to save trees I've experimented with the meat bass.

MeatBass-1.

Tone is weak, intonation sucks but it is, in fact, delicious.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I recycle, I buy used.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Royal Paulownia is a very good tonewood. Its used for my Traben Array Attack. My other bass (BC Rich Eagle, and both my guitars BC Rich & Epiphone) use mahogany for the body. My fave wood. Though it might be asian version of they still have the wieght and tone of qaulity american mahogany which Ive had in previous guitars and basses. I dont think the major import guitar and bass mfg brands are endangering any wood speices. I think that they are observing laws for wood aquiring and so on. Far more wood gets used for house building and furniture. If any industry is creating potential loss of a tree species or of too much woodlands for planets health, itd be the house and furniture makers use of wood, not musical instrument manufacture imo.

6. beatlesfan64

beatlesfan64

Apr 11, 2010
    what alternative exist to wood?

(besides meat)

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Plastics, metals, and clay/concrete/etc - most of which aren't as versatile, are considerably heavier, more costly, and generally have more negative environmental impacts during production.

8. I think some of you are missing the original point of the post...

I was simply curious if the new generation of Bass players would be influenced to buy a particular bass and or brand based on the fact that the manufacturer was using sustainable woods and/or buying wood from companies that participate in eco-friendly harvesting practices....

or for that matter the old guard as well...

9. not looking for an alternative to wood....but simply an alternative to rare and exotic woods....

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe laminates of differently died alder? It would almost look like different woods, wouldn't it?

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Then, in that case, not at all. Exotic hardwoods make up disgustingly little amounts of custom instruments these days. Manufacturers are constantly turning to cheaper woods, so this could just be the next step in the Fender, Gibson, etc line of wood habits.

Give me evidence that shows that an ebony tree is more important to the environment than a rosewood, pau ferro, wenge, or maple tree, and I might consider using something else for a finger board.

12. well i'm not trying to turns this into a political thread.....

it's not the fact that these trees are more or less important than other trees in the environment or eco-system, but simply that they exist in much smaller numbers...

if there are 10,000,000 of one kind of tree and only 10,000 of another kind of tree does it not make sense to find an alternative to the tree only found in small numbers....so that they can be preserved for future generations?

13. I don't know whether I count as next-gen or old guard, but I would go out of my way to buy from a luthier who uses more sustainable practises and FSC-certified woods wherever possible. For that matter, I won't touch a bass made from an endangered species of tree.

Godin uses reclaimed wood whenever possible, by the way.

I don't know how one would clean up the finishing process, but I'm sure that someone will come up with something ...

14. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    there a plenty of "rapidly replenishable" alternatives to rainforest woods. however, they will not become common as options unless consumers display a demand. or if we price woods to more accurately reflect their ecological and social impact.

15. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    and species is not always as important as extraction method.

16. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Same here. There's enough stuff out there that I don't really need new things. Honestly I think maybe (and this is pushing it) 25% of my gear is new. I like used it gives character!

17. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    No. It means nothing to me.