EDA905 owners : String help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Sorry for the double post (hope that's not frowned upon too much here), but I posted a thread in the Strings section.
    I thought I'd give a link to it here as well, as it is very bass-specific.
    Hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll just delete this one.

Basically, I'm looking for good advice concerning strings for the EDA905, to get that upright growl out of it. and since I don't have much $$$ to try different types, I'd appreciate if you can direct me a bit.

2. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I have an EDA905. It's my only bass right now. Let me say this. I HATE THIS BASS WITH ROUNDWOUNDS. Just too damn bright no matter how you set the eq. I got some pressurewounds on it right now and they are definitely an improvement over the rounds. I'm almost certain flats will give me the sound I want. Only problem is that no companies make flatwound tapered B string. I took my B string off to see how well the fat part would sit in the piezo saddle. It was a very half ass fit. I'm still gonna try it with some D'addario chrome flats when I get the cash.

I play hard rock/metal and I think this is one of the few basses that could make flats work for that.:bassist:
  3. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Thanks a lot Danham.

I love that bass too !
    But I know it can have a mellower tone. As you say, I find the rounds make it too bright, no matter the settings.

I think I may try half-wounds.