EDEN 210T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by munch62, Sep 19, 2004.

1. munch62

Jul 15, 2004
    I own a Eden 210T and heres the problem.
    The speakers distort easily at med. volume.
    (The power amp at 4 and pre-amp at 6)
    I have even tried a 150watt power amp.
    Still at a med stage volume the speakers
    seem to be overworked.Is the Eden 210T
    worthless as a bass cabinet?Any suggestions?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well it could be bad drivers if the cabinet is used, or you could be boosting the bass way too much
    in general i've found them to be fine cabs, not everyone's favorite, but not as you've described
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I have one that I use with a Big Ben, and I vastly prefer the sound of them running full range together than biamped on my 800RB -- if that tells you anything about how it normally sounds. It's a great standalone cab, but you have to dial some of the lows out simply due to the cab's design. I pair it with the Big Ben outdoors and it fills in the lows great, but otherwise I just run it alongside my 15" and it kicks out the jam! Try cutting frequencies near the 40 to 60hz range if you have any kind of EQ. That will tune out lower, more "felt" frequencies that the 210T can't produce much of anyways, and cutting those bands in the EQ can free up a LOT more energy to let the Eden's true open tone through. Bottom line though, if you want to be heard and felt, you'll need something (else?) far different.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    150 watts is very low power for a bass.

Thats probably where your problem is.
  5. Did you check battery in your bass?
    Sometimes it happens in there.. :smug:
    But I think you did..
  6. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I owned a 210T for years and played it too its extreme! Other than the 410XLT, this is my favorite cab in the Eden line because of its efficiency and open. balanced sound. That being said, 150 watts is not enough power for most bass cabs...maybe a 1-15 combo, but not much else. I usually played this cab using one side of an Eden WT800 so it was putting 220 watts into the cab. You might try putting your master volume on 10 and turning the preamp volume up until you hear it distort, then back off until the distortion goes away...this will be the max your amp will put out. Don't slam a marvelous and often underrated professional level cab when the problem could lie with other equipment in the signal chain. Bass battery, bass volume, effects pedal volume,excessive amp eq (bass turned up too high), etc all contribute to muddy sound. Also, as with any 210 cab, it can only do so much. This cab is tuned to 60hz if I remember correctly (check Eden site), so it will not reproduce extremely low frequencies at high volumes. The possibility exists that the speakers are blown, especially if you played it all night in the distorted state you speak of. I loved my 210T, use it as it was designed and you will see its attributes. If you need more booty, pair it with another cab designed to go lower...one of the best sounds I ever had was running this cab with an Eden 210XLT or 410T/XLT. I could conquer the world with that rig and didn't need tons of power.
  7. munch62

Jul 15, 2004
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    The 150 watt power amp was used to check the cab.
    On the gig I backed off the power as soon as I heard
    distortion.Here's what I'm using with the eden:Alembic FX-1 pre-amp,
    Carvin EQ,QSC power amp(1450).Main bass Conklin 7 string.
    The Eden cabinet is new.
  8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Keep in mind the cab is rated for 250 watts.

I have one that's paired with an Eden D115T and powered by an SWR SM-400 and it sounds really nice. The 210 adds a lot of clarity and the 15 covers the bottom. It's actually a problem in the studio where I keep them, because the ceilings and walls start to rattle, even with the bottom rolled off a little.

On its own, the D210T sounds great with my GK 700RB. That's a nice small gig rig!
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For a 250 watt cab Id recommend a 500-600 watt poweramp. You cant as much clean power as you can get. The second the amp gets close to its limits, it will send some nasty signals that will fry the cab no matter what the cab is rated for.
  10. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    You don't NEED 500-600 watts to drive the Eden 210T. Eden cabs are very efficient. I'll admit, my WT800 bridged mono putting all 800 watts into my 410XLT was great, but I use the same cab now as my practice room cab driven by a GK400RB that puts out 125 watts at 8ohms and I still have headroom. GK watts isn't the same as Eden watt, IMO. Some of the boutique speaker cab mfg's like Epi, Bengantino, EA, etc require more power. My 210XLT liked a lot of power...in fact, my least favorite Eden cab I owned because it liked to be pushed really hard to get the sound out. Not EVERY cab has to be juiced up to 2-3 times its spec wattage to get it to sound right. I am curious if the guys who started selling us on super high wattage are the same ones who tell us we should change our oil twice as often as the owner's manual says. Dude, why is your amp bigger and heavier than your speakers?
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im just saying that you are running out of headroom from your amp before you are actually pushing your speakers with as much power as they can take.