1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden amp switch problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joenok, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Hey.
    Last few weeks the channel selector switch on my 2002 Eden Metro has been acting up. When i play channel 2 with my other bass hooked up to channel one, the switch keeps twerking over; indicator light switches between green and red when i push hard. At one point, it went over to channel one, and i had to push it really hard to get it back.
    Very uncool since it was in the middle of a show..

Have tried spraying it with electronic cleaner, works for a while, but starts acting up again.

Anyone have experience with this? Is a replacement switch the only remedy? How does this switch work?
    I have some shows coming up, and i pretty much live on the north pole. :ninja:

Thanks in advance for input on the subject.

2. It could be a faulty switch where it will need to be replaced to be reliable again. It's also possible that it's a poor solder joint connecting the switch. If you can reflow the joints where the switch connects it may recify the problem without having to source a new switch.

3. Also, if there is a provision for an external footswitch to change the channels you should check that connector for issues.

4. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks MuthaFunk. I had´nt thought about the footswitch input.
    Maybe I should try soldering a little on the connections.

The mechanism of the switch is also somthing, it has a coil spring on it.
    I suppose the spring can be fatigued also, this amp has been my primary since 02.

I contacted the distributor/service here in my country, but I got replied a week later with the answer that this model is too old. :/ thought that was kind of weak.
    Sent an e-mail to eden support, we´ll se what happens.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Definitely clean that footswitch input and run a plug in and out a few dozen times. I believe oxidation on its contacts could cause the problem you're having. It's worth a try.

6. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Sounds like a good plan. I´ll try this on the rehersal tonight. Thanks guys.

7. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    So, I forgot to update the tread..
    I was taking a shower a day, and it just hit me...:
    The faulty channel selector switch woud not move if I changed the channel via a pedal..

So, i left the selector on the working channel, and then I got a footswitch and plugged in the back. -Problem solved. As long as i just use the fottswitch, and not pressing the broken button, all is good.

And all is good. I pushed pretty hard, and the old Eden sound just as good as it always has.

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    If you can't find a service outlet try identifying the switch physically.
    There are many parts outlets on-line where you match it up & replace it.
    Maybe someone you know does electronics work. A lot of switches are mechanically connected with a pressure connector vs soldered in.
    The Eden is not that old & worth fixing for sure.
    Still pumping my 1997 WT-400 with no issues