Eden guru's some help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 11, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well for those of you who know, I'm still in the hunt for my *new rig* Ya it seems like I make a thread every other day that pertains to my rig, but I just have alot of questions.

Anyways I know I wanna keep it light and modular, has to be fairly loud for practices small/medium gigs. I was looking around, and I havn't really done anything on eden so I thought I'd give it a try.

Did some searches and found that the wt405 is a good amp versitle and goes down to 2ohms and is really light.

Found some stuff about the wt550 and wt800, the wt800 is the biggest =? of the WT series eden has? But it's a little to much for my budget. I really like the wt550, I can find em used for around 650-700$ or new at around 900$ and that is well within my budget.

I don't know why I thought that I would need a power amp that could put out 1800 watts bridged, maybe just a confidence thing, but I think with a wt550 I would have plenty of headroom, and like every other eden owner tone for ages.

I contacted bassnw and basscentral to see if they could help me out, and within 24 hours they emailed me back with some answeres to the questions I had asked them (both of em have great customer service)

I think I'm stuck on a wt550 it would remain my main amp for a long time, and plus I'm wanting to get a 8ohm d212xlt with it and thats 300 watts right there, and since eden cabs are soo efficient I will be frigging loud, I can always add another 8ohm cab to get 500 watts out it as well maybe a d210xst or xlt.

I was also wondering if some bag end cabs would sound good, I was earlier actually just yesterday gassing for a s15d and s15d-x BE cab together they are a little over my budget but I've heard you can push BE cabs quite hard without them crapping out.

The whole mentality of keeping it simple really makes me wonder why I wanted a whole rack setup, I mean it would be nice, but why bother when I can have a good quality head and cab and thats it, no power conditioners, no rack cases, no extra cables, just plg the amp into an outlet hook the speaker cab up and fire away.

That sounds the best to me anyways. Also i havn't done any searches yet, but I had mentioned the 210xst and 210xlt. Would either one of those cabs be good as a stand alone cab? The reason I ask is because the XLT cabs are big on the low end as far I've read and the XST series has even more low end or something like that. But either way I think I'll stick with the 212xlt.

Thanks for all your help and support guys!!!!!!!!

2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I used to use a WT400 through 2 210XLT cabs and I never had any volume problems. It was a very nice, light, good sounding, setup.
  3. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I was reading through some old threads and read that the 212xlt isn't to good on reproducing the low end to much, and I do have a 5 string and it is usually my main bass.

I think I'm going to look either into getting 2 210xlt, a d410xlt, or a d215xlt. I just hope the 215 isn't as combersome as it looks. I can find the 210xlt cabs used for around 300-350, and the 410xlt around 600-800$ used so I'll just keep my eyes open.
  4. jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    I run a WT550 through either a single BE S15Xd, and add a S15D as a 2nd cab if needed. Sounds great to me and nice and portable. I love the understated mini-rig look of the 550 and the single BE cab, and I get plently of volume out of that small setup for 90% of my blues/rock band gigs.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a WT-550 with a Bergantino HT112. I play a 5 string (low B) and upright. It works great for both. I've used it outside with a big band, inside at clubs - with and without PA support. Small, light, portable, tone for days, pretty damn loud, too.
  6. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Thats kind of my stand point on things are.

My only real grip is that the eden cabs arn't incredible light, I mean a 60 pound 210 is average and the average weight for a 410 is what 90lbs? The reason for the BE would to keep my rig light weight if I got 2 BE 15'' that would be what? 85 lbs right there and another 20 for the wt550. Thats 105 pounds for a total of 2 cabs and one head. I think thats really portable.

But the crappy thing is no stores near me other than GC which is in indianapolis carry eden or bag end, and I don't wanna drive the whole 2 hours down to Indy esspecially as high as gas is getting anyways.

But anyways, thanks for all the input!!

-Rob :bassist:
  7. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I have a 550 with a 4 ohm 410xlt and it's pretty loud. The 550 will go down to 2 ohms as well and will run perfectly.

@ 300 watts I'm not sure if you'll be ok for medium gigs though. Maybe you could try the 410xlt setup somewhere. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick for just about any gig. Given, it's not light but so what?

If you have any more questions, fire away.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i used a wt-400 with a bag end 15 and bag end 12 for a long time.
    I've also heard it thru two bag end 15's and that also sounds great.
    like jazz567, i found the single 15 and the eden head to be more than adequate for lots of gigs and very portable. fit anywhere too.
  9. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Quote: " ...the 212xlt isn't to good on reproducing the low end to much, and I do have a 5 string and it is usually my main bass."

The 212xlt does great on the low end, although the xlts' more prominent characteristic is their lo-mids bump that sounds great and allows the bass to stand out in the mix. It sounds very similar to the 210XLT, especially with respect to frequency response, but has a bit rounder (?) aspect to it, a smoother/not quite so punchy attack.

For 5-string, you should definitely check out the xst line - no lo-mid bump, more hi-fi, lower frequency response, made for 5-string.

Bag Ends are notorious power hogs - excellent sound, but sensitivity isn't their thing. If volume is a concern you'll be disappointed without a big power amp.

From what I can gather from your thread here, I'd say your best bet would be the WT550 with a 4-ohm 210XST and/or a 4-ohm 212XLT (yes, the 550 will do 2-ohm with no problem).

I'd highly encourage you to poll the collective wisdom on the Eden forum:

best of luck!
  10. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

Well on the BE website the 115'' cabs are rated at 103 db if I'm not mistaken thats good.

I read here on TB that some owners of the 212xlt didn't like it, I'll find the thread where I found it for reference here it is Eden 212 bottoming out

I was just stating what the guys said in that thread. I don't want to shell out xx smount of $$ for my rig and have it not fulfill it's purpose which is why I'm researching all of these amps/cab combinations and trying to find the best buy. It is also the reason why I'm probably going to go with BE cabs because I have found no complaints about them at all, I've talked with ivanmike about BE cabs more than once and with as much confidence that he has in em I doubt they can be that bad.

He even told me in a PM that on a regular basis he puts 200-1200 or so watts into em and they don't burp,fart,or distort.

Thanks again guys,

11. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY

Yeah, don't waste your time driving 2 hours in hopes of finding much Eden gear. Occasionally, they'll have a used 4-10 or similar but not much new. I've never seen a Bag End there. However, it really is a pretty good GC center for basses. They get some good stuff in their... especially used.
  12. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Quote: "...on the BE website the 115'' cabs are rated at 103 db if I'm not mistaken thats good."

Ah crap, disregard, my head was thinking Acme... 103dB is indeed strong for a single 15 cab.

I put 500W into the 212XLT, it sounds fine and pure , 'bottoming out' not a worry at all, caveat that I never go lower than a D.