Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden & QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I'm looking to purchase an Eden d210xst. Down the road though, I'd like to add another xst. If I'm running a QSC RMX1450, will this be enough power to run 2 xst's. each 210 is rated at 500 watts & the QSC will put out 450 watts at 4ohms stereo. OR do these cabs need more power. Also if I get 2 xst's at 4ohms each can I wire them so I maintain a 4ohm load & bridge the QSC for 1400 watts.

I did a search but would like a little more clarification.

thanks

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You'd have to get a pair of 8 ohm cabs to have a total load of 4 ohms.

With a pair of 4 ohm cabs, you'll get a total load of 2 ohms hooking them up in the typical fashion (parallel). You could make some custom cables allowing you to connect them in series, but this would give you an 8 ohm total load. There is no way to get a total load of 4 ohms from a pair of 4 ohm cabs.

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm seriously considering getting a pair of these. I've been going back and forth about what ohm cabs would power these and I'm considering a 4 ohm stack. (My crest puts out 400 watts/channel @ 8 ohms, and 750 watts/channel @ 4 ohms).
    In your case it looks like you're in the ballpark, but from reading what others have said in here, the RMS rating is not the upper limit by any means, this is simply a nominal figure.

The basic rule of thumb regarding amplifier power/ speaker RMS rating,
    is to power the cab from a minimum of its rated output, up to twice that much.

So, with that in mind, most people would consider:
    D210XST = 500 - 1000 watts per channel to be a good range. IMO, Eden cabs are very efficient with just about any amount of watts will give a satisfactory result, but if you plan on overpowering just keep it clean!

4. My SM400s only puts out 550W into my 2 EDEN 210XSTs and I've never ever gone over 1/2 way (including outdoor shows although I had PA support).

Very loud & lots of punchy tight bass :D

5. Thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking it would probably be enough. I don't need to be super loud as I'm only competing with 2 guitarists w/50 watts each , keyboards & semi-loud drummer. Noone plays to extreme levels.

But I also don't want to be lacking either. If they start to crank I want to put them in their place & assert my dominance. :D

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in your case i think a couple of 4 ohm xst's would be fine. 900 watts thru 4 tens is gonna be LOUD. Also, it sounds like your amp is 2 ohms stable on each side so in the future you could always add more cabs. :D

7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Get two XST's at 8 ohms each. Run the RMX bridged into the two cabs. ;) ;)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yanno, i was almost gonna suggest that. only reasons i didnt is he said he didnt need to be super loud, (and i'm think of the advantage of using lots of 8 ohm cabs - :D ), and the qsc is 2 ohms stable. IMO, there's not going to be a huge difference between 900 watts and 1400 watts. either way, 900 with 2 4 ohm ones or 1400 with two 8 ohm ones you'll be cool. the only reason i could think of for going 8 ohms is if one day you find yourself deciding you're going to switch to a 4 ohm mono head or use one as a backup. in that case having the 2 cabs be 8 ohms would be cool as you could use them both. now that i've confused you more, i should stop typing........................

9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You know how it goes. You don't think you will ever "need to be super loud". But when the guit@ar player gets a couple of beers in him, the first thing he will do is reach back for the gain knob on his Marshall. Then the other guit@r player who always felt a little inferior to the the guy next to him with the Marshall stack reaches for the gain knob on his Fender Super Reverb. Then you will wish you had an RMX bridged into two cabinets. :eek: