Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT550 volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well, I recently got a WT550 and this weekend I took it for practice with my band. Everyone said my tone had improved etc but I noticed this: the volume was a bit less than what I wanted (we play loud), and I didn't turn it up because the "output limit indicator" would light now and then and I didn't want to damage the amp (the manual says that this light indicates that the amp has reached its max output level). I was using a passive Warwick, Gain at 1 o clock, eq flat and master around 1 o clock. I pluck kinda (too) hard.
    My question is, could this really be the output limit of the amp? At one o clock? I know it's not the cab because it was an 810 800W Ampeg. What would happen if I turned the master at 3 or 4 o clock?

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi there,

i think perhaps you don't have enough headroom to power an 810 with the wt550... the ampegs aren't such efficent cabs

you might wanna trade for the wt800b (1100w bridged into 4ohms) if you have the cash...

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You ordered a Schroeder cabinet? Those are much more efficient.
    There is an eden forum at www.eden-electronics.com...
    also they have the owners manuals there that you can download...

4. +1 That Ampeg cab has a relatively low SPL and it's sealed design is probably not optimal for that particular head. He has a Schroeder on the way!

5. I'll picking up a 410XLT pretty soon and a WT550 as soon as I can find one cheap enough for my budget. Down the road I plan on getting another 410XLT or XST so I can run 2 cabs at 2 ohms. Obviously, this owuld be 8 10's also. Would the headroom issue apply hear as well or only for the Ampeg?

6. The Eden cabs are pretty efficient, so you should be fine. However, something to think about..... a WT800 into a single 410XLT will knock a wall down. The upgrade from the 550 to the 800 would be less than purchasing an additional cab. I'd recommend an 8ohm XLT and an 800(b). Then, if you are playing stadiums, and need the extra juice.... another 8ohm 410XLT would be totally smokin' (assuming you have the new (b) version that can bridge to 4ohms.

The downside is that the 410XLT is a heavy beast.

7. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I have that head and have used it into an Ampeg 810 with similar results. If you are playing in a loud band you'll probably want 2 Eden cabs to get the level you want from the WT-550.. Those speakers can take a lot of watts btw, I put an M-Pulse 600 through that stack and drowned out a very loud drummer with zero distortion. A bit too scooped for me in the end though.