1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Edgar Meyer's Italian Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by timshacklock, Aug 27, 2012.

1. timshacklock

timshacklock

Aug 27, 2012
    Is it quite smaller then [EDIT: than*] most 3/4 size basses or is he just huge?

And I'm curious about his tuning. Is it E(c ext.), B, E, A ??

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    There are probably other threads about this bass, but I believe it is smaller than a 3/4. You are correct about his tuning. The top three strings are solo tuning and the low E has a C extension. His strings are a mix of Spirocores and Flexocors.

- Steve

3. timshacklock

timshacklock

Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks!

I've been trying to figure out how he gets such a good sound with pizz and arco and the more I find out about his setup the less it makes sense :meh:

I've heard a lot about people not going for spiros because their arco sound isn't very appealing but Meyer seems to make it happen.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Edgar's 1769 Gabrielli is a smaller bass, especially in the length of the lower bout, and he wears his bass very high. The nut is at or above the top of his head!

In every photo and video I've seen, his bass has Thomastik Spirocore E & B, Pirastro Permanent E & A strings.

5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I guess he used the Flexocors before the Permanents became availble. I'm basing my info on an old interview.

To the OP: There are plenty of examples of players getting a good bowed sound from Spriocores, especially the lower strings which offer addtional clarity in that register. A mixed set like Edgar's with Spiros on the bottom is fairly common. Of course, the skill of the player is a big factor as well....and don't even ask about Edgar's bow! :bag:

- Steve

6. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    I read in an interview once that he plays or played a large 5/8ths bass, might be the same bass might not.

7. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    And Don't Even Ask About The Bow? Not fair!! I read somehwere that he uses bows that are "inexpensive". If the string selection he uses makes you wonder how he gets that "sound", then his choices of bows must equally make you wonder.

And don't forget the story of The Boston Symphony bass section all crowding into a front row seat at a jazz performance to watch, and wonder, how Slam Stewart could get such sound from a Kay bass, presusmably with Kay bow. This not to compare Edgar Meyer to Slam Stewart, it just puts the equipment thing, for me, into better perspective.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Same bass.

9. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Thought so

10. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I have seen Edgar live a few times, always using the same bow with the ugly tip repair. I heard he bought it in a violin shop for a couple hundred bucks and has broken it a couple of times. As far as spiro solo strings, they are actually much more bowable then the orchestral and resonate really nicely. I know Max Dimoff uses them among many others.

11. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    He likes that bow specifically tightened all the way, he gets a different sound from it vs his other bows.