1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Edirol R-09 and/or M-Audio MicroTrack - looking for comments

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by robgator, Mar 5, 2008.

1. robgator

robgator Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Urbana, Illinois
    Hey TB'ers, I'm looking at both of these units...just trying to get something to primarily do some recording at home (laying down some rhythm tracks for a classes that I teach) and also to do some field recording, mostly at workshops where I am taking lessons. For years, I had a Sony MD recorder and was pretty happy with it. That finally bit the dust - actually, it fell off of a boat and into the Henderson swamp in Louisiana. That being said, I'm trying to get better handle on each of these.

I have looked through previous threads but I'd still like your comments on recent experiences you have had with these units, both the Edirol and the Microtrack...good, bad & ugly.

In particular, if you use one of these units to accomplish one or both of my intended uses, I'd like to get your input.

Thanks,

Rob K.
    Urbana, IL

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Here's a longish thread about the Edirol R-09 (which I use) and several other units. On some of the later pages, there are links to gig recordings done on various machines. I love the Edirol and wouldn't trade it for anything, but there are also other similar recorders out there that are cheaper that do basically the same thing and sometimes more. Happy hunting!

3. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    I prefer the M-audio, personally. Simple to use and recordings sound very good. Has the drag and drop feature also for computers.However, google m-audio microtrack reviews and click on O'Reilly's reviews and check it out. He also reviews the the other one as well. Cnet also reviews them both. I think the reviews favor the m-audio. They have a new model out that is $50(299) cheaper than their older model; discontinued I think.. Musicians friend is throwing in a pair of good headphones free with the order.

4. Avoid the Microtrack, especially the first version! I had 2 that were both faulty and recorded with lots of noise. The menu system is slow and clunky, as is the boot time, and the supplied microphone isn't even labeled left or right! Prone to hanging your computer when connecting or disconnecting via usb too. The plastic hollow body of the Microtrack easily picks up realtime recording level changes if you're using it in a hand held scenerio. The only way around this is to use a mic on a boom etc, then it becomes less portable and defeats the point! These issues may have been resolved with the newer version, I don't know.

Edirol I have no experience with, but I can heartily recommend the Zoom H2. A lot cheaper and offers loads of great features such as 4 point surround recording! In the UK, the new Microtrack is £200 (ish) the Zoom H2 is £130 (ish) - is a lot more robust, works effortlessly via usb with both Mac and PC, supports surround recording and will do WAV or Mp3!

5. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Hmmm .... I might be missing something here, but I think you should be looking at the Boss Micro BR too. Seems to do everything you need and I think it will be cheaper.

Bought my girlfriend one for Xmas and she's over the moon with it. She plays classical/Spanish guitar and plugs the jack output of the guitar straight into the recorder. It's also got built in mic and it will take external mic's including phantom power.

6. Good shout out! Great product for the money.

7. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    How's the recording quality as well as ease of recording with the built-in mic?

8. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    "actually, it fell off of a boat and into the Henderson swamp in Louisiana."

hell of a story there i bet.

I have one of the M audios, it's not bad but as someone already mentioned they do record some noise.

I picked it up, it was cheap and plugged right into my old mac mini and worked with garage band nicely.
    It had very few options but worked well for my purposes.

9. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I can't comment on the built in mic ... I don't believe she's recorded anything that way. As for recording quality, I've no way of comparing it to the others mentioned here, but I will say I've been knocked out by what she's done with it ... which is both solo recording, and recording over orchestral backing tracks, both of which sound like .... hmmm .... 'studio quality' to me (yeah I know that's a bit meaningless, but I guess I'm trying to say it sounds like commercial recordings). I wasn't specifically listening to what the noise levels were like, but I think I'd have noticed if it was an obtrusive problem.

Does that help ?

10. robgator

robgator Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Urbana, Illinois
    Thanks everybody for your input and comments, I really appreciate it. I've been on the road and had very limited web access, so it took me a while to get back to this. I really appreciate it. And yeah mothmonsterman, that is one pretty good story. I'll take a look at the Boss and Zoom products. Thanks again folks...proving once again that the TB community is one terrific resource. Much obliged!

Rob K.

11. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    You might also look at the Tascam DR1. Just got it and am only 1/2 way through the manual, but it sounds like this will do everything you need and is slightly less expensive ($200 from sound proffesionals using froogledr1 in the coupon field).

The built in mics are very good and supports mics with and without power sources. 1/4 in. jack to plug right into, overdubbing capabilities, records onto SD cards and the computer interface is smoth and effortless.

Use for field recording (haven't had a gig since purchasing) and drum circles (like your workshops?).

12. The Edirol kicks ass. No problems whatsoever. I would suggest an external mic, though. It really helps with the sound I have used it for a year and a half and record almost everything I do. Can't recommend it enough.

13. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
    +1 on the Boss BR, if it's anything like the BR600. The built-in mics are surprisingly good. I've also used Hi-MD with a single stereo mic, and now it's easier for me to sometimes to just take the BR, it couldn't get any easier. If the form factor works for you, small thin laptop shape vs. handheld shape, give it some consideration. The bonus here is that if you're going to be doing more home studio tracks, and since you mentioned rhythm tracks, the built in drum machine in the BR600 would be a huge bonus. Check it out. :)

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    BTW, Drum machine also on the Micro BR, along with other multitracking extras like, reverb, compression, delay, chorus, etc.

B3bopbass, what's the bass in your avatar ? Can u post links to bigger photos ?

Cheers, Andy

15. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I love my Edirol, been using it to record rehearsals and gigs. It has been dropped a number of times, and still functions great.

We compared an Edirol 09 recording to a Fostex digital 4 track with expensive mics, the Edirol sounded much better. The low cut switch is a wonderful thing.

16. B3bopbass

B3bopbass

Apr 28, 2005
  17. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Are you sure about it costing $200 with coupon code froogledr1? I tried it and it didn't give me that price or any discount...

18. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I love my Edirol too. Sounds so good. This bass cut switch.... I have noticed that the recorded bass comes out overbearing sometimes and I want to try the switch, but I have been afraid that it might eliminate too much of the bass. What are your observations when you use it?

19. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    Sorry, the promotion may be over. That's what I paid and am very happy with my purchase so far.

20. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    no problem...thought maybe the code was worng...