1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effective effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tab92, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Tab92

Tab92

Jul 23, 2012
    What's going on guys, first time poster here looking for a little advice on some pedals.

I'm going for a sound that is different from what distortion pedals give. I have a boss flanger and delay pedal, but I was wondering if you guys know what other pedals have a really unique type of sound, something that would make you turn your head a bar.

I'm not going for distortion because the music my band plays isn't catered to that type of crunch really...

Thanks guys happy jammin

2. xed

xed

Dec 8, 2007
    Coastal NC, USA
    If you're looking for sounds that would turn heads then maybe add an envelope filter since you already have a flanger and delay.

3. Synth pedals. Distortion WITH other effects after it like a ring modulator or a stepped envelope filter.

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Bitcrushers, Ravish Sitar, HOG, Moog BassMurf

5. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Subdecay Noisebox

6. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Homeboy, what you need is a Swollen Pickle. Probably the nastiest (in a good way) distortion I've heard on bass. That pedal makes a statement that says,"IMMA EAT YO BABIES!"

7. Good ones! I didn't find the HOG to be very useful. Didn't sound very good even in tandem with distortion and filters. However, it sounds killer in loops. I put it on the effected loop of an Ehx SuperEgo, with an envelope filter set to high pass and a phaser, and it sounds killer.

I agree with the bit crusher. Very unique and usable sound!

8. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Synth... Akai Deep Impact SB1. Always turns heads. Other synths will get you close too, but this sucker is the best one I've ever played.

9. The Deep Impact is a great pedal that should be resurrected.

Run a fuzz through an envelope filter. That normally gets some attention.

10. Greatest effect Ive ever bought: Moog MF101

11. I find this comment to be full of crazy. I loved mine, and miss it dearly (despite her being a resource hoarding &!+=*).

You are of course entitled to your crazy ;).

12. Tab92

Tab92

Jul 23, 2012
    Love the suggestions guys thanks! I gotta say the ravage sitar is nutty... In a good way. I still got a few more to look up but I'll be doing that shortly thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming!