1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Effects advice and help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bhass, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I'm buying the EHX Small Stone and the Graphic Fuzz (also from EHX). The Graphic Fuzz supposedly come with an adapter so that sorts that out, but I'm wondering about powering the small stone. I have never used other kinds of power supply other than batteries. What should I buy to power this pedal, and will I be able to use that power supply with the Graphic Fuzz aswell? I heard the Graphic Fuzz needed a wierd amount of power. All I want is one plug to go into the mains, I don't care how messy my board is.

Also, which one do you think should come first in the chain?

2. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Bump?

3. chuffinator

chuffinator Banned

May 29, 2008
    Austin Texas
    get a one spot power adaptor

4. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Can you provide a little more information?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If your Small Stone is like mine, a bit older, you'll need a 1/8" mini plug adapter. A pedal power device, like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power + will have the correct adapter, and allow you to power alot of different pedals. Otherwise, I don't think you can power both of those 2 pedals with one source. A One Spot will NOT work.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    well if the graphic fuzz is 18v.....then you can use a DC Brick.

7. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    On the EHX website it says:
    96DC-200BI power supply included

I'm not quite sure about what information there is what. Could I use the DC brick for this pedal + the small stone (presumable 9v)?

If not, why don't I just use a mains adapter, and use several plugs hidden under my pedalboard?

8. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Is there any downsides to just plugging tonnes of different power supply plugs into one plug adapter? Without the use of an actual power supply box?

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but if I get it at all, yes, that would be a HUGE problem. Each pedal should ideally be supplied with the recomended voltage and current it was designed to run on. But perhaps you can clarify the question a bit.

10. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Ok I'll clarify, I'm terrible at making sense.
    I always use batteries so I have no idea how else to power pedals. I have ordered 2 new pedals, the EHX Graphic Fuzz and the Small Stone. The Small Stone I presume is 9v, and the Graphic Fuzz comes with it's own adapter. "96DC-200BI power supply included". I want to come off batteries. How can I do so? I don't think that the Graphic Fuzz would work with a standard pedal power supply. Then my other suggestion was to use a mains adapter, and plug several power supplies into each pedal, and then plug them into the adapter. Then the adapter to the mains.
    Am I making sense?

11. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I am just asking to be educated, really. Why the 1-spot wouldn't work? People often use it to power 6-7 pedals (including me) and electronically it isn't that much different than using a seperate transformer for each pedal (which indeed is ideal), given the pedals are designed right (95% are). Is there anything particularly different with these two pedals?

12. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Heres another question I'd like to ask. If I have the EHX Graphic Fuzz and another big pedal like that, such as the Deluxe Memory Man or Micro Bass Synthesizer, how would I power them both? They both come with their own plugs. Could I just plug both of them plugs into a mains adapter. Just a simple plug adapter?

13. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Incase my post above didn't make sense:
    If I have 2 pedals on order, and I quote for both of them:
    "Incl. power supply 96DC-200BI PSU." for one of them
    "24VDC-100 power supply included" for the other
    These are different to my current knowledge (I am stupid though), so can I just plug both of them power supplies into one of these:
    [​IMG]

14. If you need two different voltages, then that would be the way to go at this early stage. If you keep piling up pedals, you may want to look into universal power supplies such as the BBE SupaCharger and Voodoo Labs PedalPowerII.

Things to make sure of when applying power to pedals.

Voltage: 9 times out of 10 the primary difference. If your voltage differs more than about 10percent from what your source supplies to what your pedal requires, that's not ideal and may destroy your pedal.

AC or DC: This is important. Many high current and tube pedals use AC, but most pedals don't. Make sure you have it right. May destroy pedal.

Polarity: That is the little half circle thing with the plus and minus on it. You want that to look the same on the supply as the pedal. Not applicable to AC pedals. May destroy pedal.

Current capacity: If your supply won't put out enough of this, then your pedal won't work. Won't destroy pedal.

You can only daisy chain pedals where the first 3 of the above are the same. Occasionally even if they are the same, the pedal still needs an isolated power supply (Bass Micro Synth, Bass Blogger). Current capacity of power supply in a daisy chain needs to be greater than the current draw of all pedals in a chain.

See my sig.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The One Spot won't work with the Graphic Fuzz, because it's not a 9 volt pedal, and the Small Stone, because it has a different plug end, though it IS a 9 volt pedal. Unless Ehx changed the input to a standard, (Boss type) barrell plug, it's a 1/8" mini jack. The power strip shown above is fine, so long as each pedal uses it's correct power supply. Hope that clears some of this up.

16. I think the new Graphic Fuzz is 9V, although it may still need to be isolated.

17. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Thanks for your help everyone. I hope my stupidity hasn't angered you yet.
    So that wouldn't work with a?
    96DC-200BI PSU
    and a
    24VDC-100
    Seems they are different powers? One of them 96 and one of them 24?
    (I have no idea what that means)
    Edit: Sorry 'bout this, I'm stupid.

18. Power strip is good. Each power supply (black box with cord) takes the 120V from the strip and turns it into 9.6 volts (96DC) and 24 volts DC. Although, you need to make sure that your pedals require that voltage (9.6vdc or 24vdc) before plugging them into the power supply. Also check to make sure that a logo that looks like these: plug_types. matches on both the pedal and power supply.

Ignore this paragraph if you're getting a NanoSmallStone. Your small stone may be a little different if it doesn't require a barrel jack. Those do require a barrel to 1/8 inch adapter, but will work when that adapter is attached to a 9VDC center negative supply. Good luck.

19. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Thanks for the info again, you have been a real help. So I can power my 24VDC pedal with a power strip, and some 9v's. What about the "96DC-200BI PSU". Can that not be powered in the strip? WAIT NEVER MIND, I JUST READ YOUR POST AGAIN. IM AN IDIOT.

I take it that means I can run both pedals off the power strip then. Thanks :)
    I'll also buy a normal pedal power supply to connect my 9v's to.