Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Effects Kill your tone when Bypassed?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Im not sure if im crazy but i notice a difference in my sound when my effects (are off) in the loop when bypassed. It just sounds a little flatter than when im plugged directly in to my rig. Is it possible to make two lines one for my bass to go directly into the amp and the other to go effects then amp?

2. Yes, it's called an A-B box. A simplified "effects loop" if you will. If your effects are not true bypass (hard wired jack to jack when unit is off) it will sound different, yes.

This is all moot in light of your amp having an effects loop...in that case,use it.

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Some effects sound different in an effects loop than they do inline ahead of the amp though.

Lazlo - check out http://www.loooper.com/ - several Talkbassers (including myself) have had pedals made by Dave.

4. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks guys,

wingnutkj if i wanted to bypass say 3 pedals i would want the 3 loooper right ? :) Getting a little confused just want to make sure which one to get

5. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    or no, i would get the A/B box.... :confused:

6. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    A Loooper basically acts as a true-bypass switch for your pedals. You can have more than one pedal in a Loooper's loop. You can probably get by with a single loop for starters. My rig uses a single Loooper:

bass -> loooper in -> Q-Tron -> Big Muff -> Tech 21 XXL -> looper out -> Amp

A 3-Loooper would give you a lot of flexibility and control over your pedals - for example, you could put your effects into "banks" - filters in loop 1, chorus/flangers in loop 2, distortions in loop 3 and so on, or you could isolate rarely-used really noisy pedals. There are a lot of possibilities, but it could get very complicated (and expensive!)

An A/B box lets you direct your signal between 2 different outputs or inputs - if you had 2 basses, for example.

7. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    Thanks wingnutkj, just ordered a single looper :hyper:

8. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    so if would have an active and a passive bass, could I do this with an A/B box?

bass1---[ ]----active
    bass2---[ ]---passive
    where the [] is the A/B?

9. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I believe an A/B box would let you do this

Bass (active)------------
    Bass (passive)----------- [ A/B ]----------- Amp

Or the other way with 2 amps and one bass

*both basses are plugged into the a/b box

10. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    but not both?
    so I'd have to plug either both in the active or both in the passive input on my amp?

11. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    On some amps, if you plug something into the active and passive inputs it automatically makes them both passive inputs anyway. At least that's how it was with my old Peavey amp.