1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects noob

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by evilchuck87, Mar 12, 2013.

1. evilchuck87

evilchuck87 Modulus is my passion

Mar 12, 2009
    San Francisco
    So I've decided to start experimenting with effects. I've been looking at building a pedal board or buying either the boss me-50 or gt 6b/10b. Pedals are expensive, I don't know what I want because I haven't got to try any. I was thinking I would go with the me-50 to test out all the effects and figure out what I like and then just sell it and build the pedal board. Does that sound like a solid idea?

Or do I opt for the boss gt 10b right from the start? Soundwise between the pedals and 10b, is it really a huge difference? I read a lot of people saying go pedals but I already have amazing gear (mesa/modulus) so I'm not looking for amp modeling. The 10b still won't sound as good through pro rig vs the pedals with pro rig?

Thanks for any insight!

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I haven't tried the Boss multis but I have been using a Zoom B3. It's been replacing my single analog pedals (with the exception of one super rare boutique overdrive). The sound quality of the Zoom is really excellent and the price is really hard to argue with.

3. evilchuck87

evilchuck87 Modulus is my passion

Mar 12, 2009
    San Francisco
    Bump

Thanks for the zoom b3 suggestion.

4. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I started with a GT-10B. The B3 was cool, too. If I were starting, again, I'd go the same route. But there is a HUGE difference between those multis, Boss....the cheapies...and the expensive stuff. It's not always the case. But most of the time you get what you pay. Just like amps and basses. Starting with a multi is good as it shows you the right roads you want to go down.

5. If you wanna try some sounds out just do it at a music store. You'll eventually end up with quality single effect pedals. And yes, you often get what you pay for until you get way up in the $300+ area (though some are totally worth it).

I would rather have a few things that do a few things well than one thing that does a lot of stuff okay.