1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

effects/technical moron!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dabass, Apr 19, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Hi, I basically feel mentally deficient when it comes to "technical aspects of music" such as programming drum or "rhythm machines". My latest experience as a severe cognatively impaired individual was trying use a "loop phaser" with a drum machine. Oh boy, I feel really smart now!! Anyway, let's start with the Boss Dr. Rhythm 5, I'd like to program the F'n thing with some nice chord changes and a basic "drum groove" and write/practice some bass lines or grooves. Unfortunately, I've got F'n plugs/cords all over the F'n room. Do I have to use seperate amps for my bass and the drum/rhythm machine and when I attempt to use the loop processor (GOD HELP ME) do I then need a seperate amp for that or can I plug all three in the same amp. "With all do respect" don't tell me to read the instructions because I apparently have a first or second grade reading level and can't understand what all the words or sentences mean as it pertains to "instruction booklets". Any advice?????Help???Suggestions?? Please use basic sentences and small words...

2. Yes you can use the same amp for all three... how you go about achieving it is a whole other topic! Suffice to say that it sounds to me like you need a small mixer that will combine all three outputs onto one send that you can then plug into any amplifier.

3. right...a mixer will do just fine :)

4. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks, conceptually could you give me an idea of how it would work, all connections ect????
    I would like to get the looper, drum/rhythm machine and my bass groovin at once. Also, any suggestions on a good, simple affordable mixer. Are Behringer's mixers any good should I get a "rack mounted mixer" or traditional mixer???

5. Conceptually it's very simple. You plug the three outputs of the three devices into three inputs on the mixer. Then, the mixer output goes to your amp. All that's left is to adjust the gain and level on the mixers input channels and to set an appropriate level on the output to feed your amplifier.

Any mixer will do, provided it has at least three inputs (I'm assuming you're not going stereo?) and one output.

They come in all shapes, sizes and configurations ranging from something like (or perhaps even smaller) the EH minimixer
    [​IMG]

...right up to a full blown mixer.

big_mixer.

er, sorry...

[​IMG]

6. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    The Boomerang has one Aux. in and one Aux. out, dosen't my bass need to be plugged into the Aux in on the Boomerang and the Aux out goes to the mixer? So, bass into Boomerang, Boomerang into mixer, drum machine into mixer, mixer to amp??

7. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    looks like you should plug your bass into the "main in" of the boomerang, and plug the mixer into the "main out."
    a behringer mixer will work fine, for now... just get a 4-channel one. go to a yamaha if you want to get a little upgrade.
    and then do: bass to boomerang "main in"
    boomerang "main out" to channel 1 of mixer
    "output" of drum machine to channel 2 of mixer
    that's the simplest i can think of.
    and when i look at it... you only really need a two-channel mixer.
    but i'd get a four just in case.

8. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Hey, I got everything going, thanks!! However, I'm having a difficult time with the Boomerang playback. I can't seem to play back a sequence "in time" with the drum machine. Any suggestions?

9. well, i don't believe that the boomerang has a MIDI sync, like my lexicon Jamman does (we might have to trade ;)) but that would be what you need to get your loop and the drum to play together...otherwise you'll need to just be really good at your timing (which can be a blessing in disguise :))