1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Effects That Don't Exist, But Might Sound Cool

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caeman, Jul 18, 2012.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    After my question about a dual-band flanger that flanged both bass and treble at possibly different rates and depths, I got to thinking.

We know about octave fuzz pedals, and many people like them.

Would the various modulations sound good with bass if the octave up was the signal being processed and then blended into the clean -- Octave Flanger, Octave Phaser, Octave Tremolo, Octave Vibrato?

What about Octave Delay?

These are the sort of thoughts that plague my brain on a daily basis.

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    These are important questions.

It sounds like it's time for hours of joyful experimentation with lots of tone 'toys'.

I only have a Zoom multi effects pedal. I like being able to add effects but it's never enough. Turns out Wah and fuzz and OD sounds nasty in a nice way. Kinda like a personal insult in tone form. :bassist:

3. I'd like to see effects that change different parameters based on the intensity played. For instance, an envelope filter is a Low-pass filter with the frequency of the cut off that varies with the intensity or volume that you play.

While I've come across some Zoom and ART multieffects units that can assign an expression pedal to change a different parameter, I haven't found one that does it based on the intensity played. Also, the multieffect processors tend to have very lousy quality effects anyway.

So here are some thoughts for stuff I haven't come across or seen how to put together with different controllers, loops or effects:

- A flanger where the speed and/or width change with the volume or intensity played
    - An envelope filter where there's both a low pass as well as a bandpass (although not a true bandpass as to not loose the bottom end) that sweeps in the opposite frequency direction as the lowpass frequency direction. Maybe this is what the Bassballs twin filter does? I don't know...
    - Also, an envelope filter that can be triggered by an outside instrument. You could put it on the bass, but have it controlled by the kick drum, for example. What I have done in the past in the studio/ProTools is have an envelope filter that's triggered by the snare placed in a parallel effects loop for the snare with delay, distortion and a high-pass filter on it. It sounds cool . However, this was only possible in ProTools, and I don't think it'd be possible live without some big old rack effects. I think that's what I did on the snare in the following track:

I've had a few other ideas along these lines, but those are the only ones that come to mind off hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  4. There are filters with trigger inputs. Pigtronix EP-1(probably 2 I don't know)and I'm not sure but I think the Chunk Systems filter have trigger inputs.

A delay with different effects on the repeats would be fun. Envelope flanging maybe???

5. I would like a pedal with a sweepable crossover; a optical compressor on the low band adjustable to about 10:1, with attack/release controls; and a noise gate on the upper band. Each band should have its own output level control and there should be a combined output, and also separate outputs for each band.

Basically, I want a Rane DC24 in a pedal, but with only the features I use. :)

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    So, the high-band would NOT be compressed?

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Ubershiest, the Line 6 M series multis have a number of effects that have envelope controlled parameters. I really dig tremolo that speeds up as I dig in. Pig tonic also makes something called Tremvelope. If I understand correctly, Axe FX can do this kind of thing as well but their stuff is really expensive.

8. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I've always wanted a delay pedal in a wah shell or with an expression input that control the delay time, but once an echo's already started, it stays at that delay time. So, like, you hit a note with a 300ms echo, and while that's still fading out, you adjust the treadle to say, a 500ms echo, and hit a note and it will layer over the previous echoes.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I wish I had the money to get all of my ideas built into real pedals, just so I could have whatever weird idea came to mind. Like, for example, getting Toadworks to build the Enveloope again.

10. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The Yamaha MagicStomp has several dynamic effects like phaser and flanger.

I would think the TimeLine could do this, with its twin delays. Set one at 500ms with the level controlled by the exp pedal.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wanted a blender pedal that was completely controlled by MIDI. This would let you control the blend with an expression pedal, save multiple wet/dry settings that could be cycled through, etc. One didn't exist, so Max from SFX Sound built me one :)

Yeah, it can, but yeah- it's expensive :D You can assign envelopes, LFOs, etc. to control many different parameters of different effects.

12. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I also had an idea of a panning type volume pedal that would fade between input and output of an effects loop. That way you could get variable gain settings from whatever dirt pedal and simultaneously adjust the output.

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

A while ago, my band was toying with the idea of covering "Legs" (ZZ Top) and I found a way to reproduce the sequencer by using a Digitech BSW, Boss BF-3 and a Small Stone phaser looped through a LS-2 to insure low-end. We don't play that song anymore, but I sorta liked the sound and its possibilities (even if it's a bit eighties-ish). Does this already exist in a single-pedal format ? Can it even be done ?

14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

Spend twenty minutes with any Eventide Ultra-Harmonizer (H3000 or newer) and all your questions will be answered.

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    My personal Effects That Don't Exist But Would Sound Cool wish-list includes a multi-pole filter with realtime proportional pitch-tracking to modulate cutoff frequency.

So, for example, you could set it up as a low-pass filter that only allows the fundamental and first couple partials through (for that super deep, dubby, throbbing sphincter sound) but as you move up the neck the filter cutoff frequency moves higher with your notes so that it's still passing the fundamental and first couple partials (only), regardless of what register you're playing in.

16. The 3Leaf Groove Regulators (and I suppose the new Wonderlove or whatever) can do this. There is a video of Jonathan Herrera, I believe, from Bass Player magazine using a drum machine/sequencer to trigger the envelope for his a bass.

It in YouTube.

17. Here it is:

Quite nice! :bassist:

18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This. Some filter pedals have a dedicated sidechain input, but any filter with an effects loop can do it you set it up right.

19. I would LOVE an envelope filter that could be triggered by parts of a drum kit. That would be so awesome.. I've been loving the idea of effects on kits lately anyway. Tap delays and envelope filters sound awesome to me.

That new alairex halo pedal is triggered by playing intensity I think. It's an OD pedal and I've yet to hear it on bass. Has anyone ever gotten to try one?